76 • Checkmate

Staring at the intricately carved glass box, Reina wondered if she should wear it for today, just for today. Even if it would make her look weak or get yanked until her ears bled, her hearing aids could save a life today.

The lack of ringing in her ears was pleasant. However, the weight of her hearing aids, for some unknown reason she could never rationalize, made her skin crawl. Exhaling roughly through her nose, Reina counted to three and sucked up the uncomfortable feeling.

Wiping her glasses, she put them on, pouting at her own reflection. Glasses were much safer than contacts, but she never liked them all the same. And it wasn't like they magically fixed what had been broken. After all, it was her nerves and brain that were broken, not just her eyeballs.

But even if she was used to the blurry vision and ringing ears, even if she could still shoot a gun accurately and feel someone sneak up on her, it was only when the danger was on her and not someone else. For today, she needed her eyes and ears in the best condition she could make them be. At least, she needed to be able to hear the faint click of a gun and differentiate between a dumpster and a shadow stalking someone.

Rummaging through her closet, Reina strapped on her bulletproof vest before covering it with a plain black turtleneck. She wore her gang uniform on top of it. Climbing the shelves, she took the baseball cap from the top shelf and placed it on her head, tucking her bangs under the cap.

"I look like an undercover paparazzi." Huffing, she shook her head and exited her closet, kissing Marseille's head while bidding goodbye. Then, she made her way downstairs to arrange a bouquet.

Akise had been stationed at the nearest Hokkyokusei-owned hospital to the Yokohama bay—apparently, Tenjiku moved hideouts after the whole Mucho's car incident and that was also where the fight would be held—which was only five minutes away if she sped by bike. She couldn't get her hands on the bulletproof vests in time, but it should be fine since she knew how to handle multiple guns and more. Everything would be fine if nobody died until the fight actually started, and Reina was determined to make sure of it.

She still didn't know what Harui was planning, but that hardly mattered. Whatever goal he has, it wouldn't interfere with hers. Whether Tenjiku lost or won shouldn't matter to him, and that was enough for her to know that he wouldn't get in the way, even if he wouldn't help either.

"Rei? What with your, uh...bouquet?"

Snorting, Reina rolled her eyes and hopped on the back of Inui's bike. It certainly was the prettiest bouquet she had ever made. "Maybe if a girl finally gives him some flowers, he'll bless my Black Dragon today."

"Shinichiro-kun wasn't that pathetic."

"Literally everybody told me otherwise."

Reina had been to Shinichiro's grave before, though she didn't stop to pray the last time she visited, so technically, this was her first time visiting the leader of the first generation of Black Dragon, as well as Mikey's older brother.

She let Inui pay his respects first, standing beside Kokonoi a few graves away to give him some privacy while observing the area. While she did want to pay her respects to the founding captain of the first generation of Black Dragon, she knew Mikey would also come here today—they had a strategy meeting planned in the afternoon, so he was bound to visit the grave in the morning—Izana too, considering he still respected Shinichiro even after everything.

And well, having three gang leaders gather in one spot hours before their brawl was a fine recipe for trouble, and she knew it wouldn't take much to kill someone in the middle of chaos.

Plus, if Reina couldn't figure out who they were targeting, she might as well stick close to Mikey until the fight and prevent him and someone else from dying.