101 • The Fourth Future #3

Up here, everybody and everything looked like bugs, dead with just a careless step of her foot. It was probably true though. Only, rather than her foot, it would be the snap of her fingers that would sign them off to the grim reapers.

Closing her eyes, she breathed in just as the wind howled, blowing her unbrushed hair behind her. The black and white strands stuck into her eyes, yet she paid the discomfort no mind as she continued to stare at nothing.

"Reina," a voice called out, soft but stern. "Get down from the railings."

Clicking her tongue, she clenched her jaw, whatever slight tranquility she had been feeling was gone in an instant. Turning around on the railing, she ignored the way Inui immediately surged forward. His arm was stretched towards her, and he stared at her glare with a soft look that made her want to gouge his eyes out. Scowling at the Manji symbol tattooed on his wrist when he stretched his hand out, Reina hopped down and shoved past him.

Inui, of course, simply locked the balcony doors and walked after her, used to her everything. Whether it be her glare, the way her fingers twitched as if wanting to maim him, or the way she treated him as if he was the dust under her feet, Inui Seishu was used to them all. After all, Nehan's number three spent his time standing behind his boss. That was, of course, if the organization wasn't so busy that they needed their number three to leave her side.

"Would you like something for dinner first?"

He, of course, didn't receive an answer, nor did he ever expect one. He had been by her side for twelve years to know without needing to be told. Besides, his hands were already grabbing her coat and his legs weren't walking toward the kitchen.

"Today is Hayashida Haruki—Pahchin's wedding," informed Nehan's number three as he started the car, not trusting anyone but the admins to drive Reina around. "Koko reminded me it's also the day he returned twelve years ago."

With her head pressed against the window, Reina stared blankly at nothing in particular. Her lips were slightly parted even if she wasn't saying anything. Her fingers fiddled with the frayed thread circling her wrist, brushing over the crack on the charm. Inui droned on and on about the other admins and the reports of their respective jobs before this scheduled meeting, but Reina's mind was elsewhere. She wondered how much longer the feeble bracelet would last. She wondered how it managed to survive this long. She wondered why she hadn't thrown it away the first time the stupid cat charm cracked.

"So, you're back."

Instantly, Inui snapped his mouth shut, not that Reina needed him to considering she was mumbling to herself. Lifting her hand, her finger traced the Manji tattooed on her nape, eyes drifting to her reflection in the rearview mirror.

"Hanagaki...Takemichi."

Who was back again? Reina remembered his name, but not his face. Her mind could make out a head with blue dots and a big smile, and maybe short blond hair. But that was it. She remembered her promise though, the promise she made to make sure the future turned out well. Did she succeed? She was sure she did. After all, the last reports said everybody was alive and very much away from the underworld. That must've meant she had succeeded, right?

She wondered if this future was worth it.

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Fucking hell," cursed Nehan's head of executives. "You just got here, and you're already wasted? We haven't even started the meeting. Reina hasn't even arrived, for fuck's sake."

"Chill, Kakucho." Their resident sleeping beauty of an executive raised a glass of whiskey, downing it with enough flair to flex the Manji tattoo on his throat and make the women scattered around the couch swoon. "C'mon, sit, sit. Hey! Bring us more alcohol and even more girls! Kakucho here needs a good fuck!"