120 • Irredeemable

Droplets of blood fell to the ground, staining white shoes red. A hand pressed against the gash, feeling blood slipping past the gaps due to how deep it was. The sound of gritting teeth merged with a suppressed hiss as blood continued to flow out of the wound, dripping onto the ground, and dissolving into intricate swirls in the puddle.

"Sorry, boss."

Because, well, what else was Kokonoi supposed to do when he saw a fucking bastard about to swing a gun at Reina? Stand still and let Reina do all the work? Yes, he knew Reina could easily dodge that puny attempt, but it was obvious that his body would move in to shield her on instinct, even if it meant nearly getting his eye cut in the process. At least his leg was quick enough to kick the brat away before the gun could actually cut his eye.

"T'was reflex, 'm fine."

Despite his words, Reina could see that it wasn't fine. Other than because the cut was too dangerously close to his eye, never mind the fact that Kokonoi just got pistol-whipped, it was also still bleeding. That meant the wound was deeper than just a mere gash.

Unfortunately, her men were too far away from them to help, at least not with their injuries.

Of course, the unfortunate one wasn't her.

"That gun," she said, stepping in front of Kokonoi as she stared straight at the trembling kid. "Is this your first time holding it?" Tilting her head to the side, she glanced at her brother. "Or were you the one who killed Harui?"

"Shut up!" The kid wasn't trembling anymore, he was fucking shaking. "I'll kill you! I'll fucking kill you!"

Unimpressed, Reina took a step forward. With every step she took, her vision began to turn foggier, and neither Inui nor Izana's scream for her to step back sounded clear. It was as if she had lost control over her body, forced to watch through a misty screen, but unable to do anything.

Something whispered in her ear, garbled yet soft. It felt like a lullaby lulling her to sleep, and Reina was just so goddamn tired. Something soft and cold brushed against her shoulders, gliding down the curve of her spine and nudging her forward. There was a hum in her ears, hushed like the calm before the storm, like the gleaming teeth of a siren.

"Are you angry, Nana?" Her eyes widened ever so slightly at the weight on her shoulders and the voice in her ears. "It's okay now. Nobody can hold you back anymore. You can let loose now."

The trigger was pulled, yet all that came out were leadless clicks. The kid felt his breath hitch when Reina stopped in front of him, the gun still pointed at her, yet not a single bullet came out.

"This broken, stupid shit—"

"Are you seeing this, Rui?" Her head lolled forward, yet her eyes remained blank as she glared down at the gun in his grasp. "You got killed by a kid who doesn't even know how to turn the safety off." Her lips lifted, but it didn't look like she was smiling. "Soes that make you angry?"

Takemichi felt his breath hitch when Reina tilted her head upwards robotically, her hair falling behind her shoulders as she stared at the raining sky as if there wasn't a gun pointed at her right now.

"I'm angry, Rui."

Next thing he knew, the kid's neck was under Reina's boot, and the gun was in her hands. The kid was rapidly turning blue, thrashing yet unable to do anything but claw her boots. Meanwhile, Reina was inspecting the gun, turning the safety off. But then, she lifted her foot, allowing the kid to breathe. But all Takemichi could feel was fucking panic.

"NO, REI—"

He could only watch as Reina slammed her foot down so hard that the crack of the kid's broken neck echoed louder than the howling rain. Blood splattered everywhere, staining her boots and the ground red.