Chapter 38

When we arrived at Paris I began to get sad as I went into the church where Darius died. I sat there and looked around at the place, remembering every small detail that happened in my life because of him, all good things. He saved me from a long road of darkness. I heard the door open and I looked back to see Duncan and another woman.

"Maria, this is Renee Delaney." I stared at her and she stared at me. I knew her from somewhere but I couldn't connect the dots.

"Maria?" She questioned and I stared at her, still not remembering.

"We met at that party where you saved my partner." I scoffed and she walked up to me and I took her hand, kissing it. She smiled and I smiled back, not wanting to see her too much.

"I should have known you two were friends. He would be dead if it weren't for you, Maria, it is so good to see a hero again." I nodded and smiled more, really hating her personality for some reason, even though she was just being nice.

"I would be in jail for a couple of years if it weren't for YOU Renee." She laughed and shook her head.

"Anyone that was smart enough should have known that you were innocent." I laughed and looked back at Duncan who just stood there with confusion.

"Anyway, me and Maria are kind of busy right now, so if you could please leave us to our business, then that would be great." I looked at her and nodded, writing my Paris address on her hand. She looked at it and I walked past her and to Duncan where I got in my car and we left, going to the barge. I exited the car and was immediately saddened by the memory of Tessa. Duncan felt the same way and we kind of just stared at it for a minute.

"Tessa, listen to this song," I said and began to play a song by Queen. She laughed and I laughed.

"Maria, you are just full of surprises." I smiled and we pretended to tackle each other. I sat up after a minute or two of us laughing on the floor and she sat up and got off the floor.

"Can I organize all of your paintings," I questioned and she looked back at me and laughed. She realized I was being serious and stared at me as if I were crazy.

"Why do you want to organize all of those, there are hundreds there." She set down her cup and we walked over where I sat on the floor and began to organize them anyway. She sat there with me and watched as I did so.

"Done," I said after 2 hours and we laughed.

"How did you organize them?" she asked and looked at them as she sat next to me.

"By year." We laughed again and I hugged her.

I looked at the barge behind Duncan's and looked at him and he looked at me. A man walked out and he looked back at me and I stared at the man.

"I will handle this, why don't you distract Renee?" I nodded, completely agreeing that whatever I did would help at the moment. I drove to my house and stepped inside, feeling happy. I called Richie and he picked up.

"Where are you?" He asked, confused and scared.

"Don't worry, Richie, we had to go back to Paris to kill Horton and Xavier... I am fine." He sighed with relief and gripped the phone harder.

"I am sorry, Richie," I said and he sighed again.

"This isn't your fault, Maria, none of this is your fault. I will be here when you decide to come back or I will come visit you." I nodded and began to feel sad knowing that Richie wasn't going to be by my side when I woke up in the morning.