Chapter 33

I was working out at the dojo when I got bored and cleaned up. I went to the upstairs apartment and sat down on the couch, where I looked at the laptop that was sitting on the coffee table and suddenly wanted to write something. I got up and went back downstairs where I ran into Charlie.

"Hey, Maria, what's going on?'

"Not much, how about you?"

"Just picking up a few things, leaving to go to a friend's house tonight." I nodded and smiled.

"I just want to say thanks again for letting Duncan buy the place, it is very nice being here all the time." He nodded and I waved him goodbye. I went into my bag and grabbed a laptop, to which I began to write my story. I felt Richie and Duncan step into the lift and I continued to write, ignoring them completely. They stepped in and were talking to each other about a dead man.

"Hey guys, what is going on in the world of Duncan today?" He looked back at me and sighed, grabbing something from the fridge. I closed the laptop and gave him my full attention now, knowing something was truly wrong. Duncan sat in the chair in front of me and Richie sat next to me.

"I was battling this immortal when a mortal came in and... he kind of witnessed everything." I looked at Richie and back at Duncan.

"Did he tell the police, are you in trouble?"

"He... the immortal fled and... he hit Tommy with his car and he died." I sighed and Duncan got back up and began to pace back and forth.

"Have you told the family anything?"

"Not really, listen, I have to go. I will be back soon -and you two- no funny business up here, this is MY apartment." I looked at Richie and he looked at me.

"Yes sir," I said and watched as Duncan ran down the steps almost. I looked at Richie again, but he stared at the steps.

"That must have been traumatizing," Richie said and looked back at me.

"Maybe for you, but Duncan witnessed death every day of his life and so did I. The thing that gets to Duncan is that he was there and had no way of helping the poor man. Duncan gets guilty and that is something that Duncan got from me." Richie looked at me finally and I grabbed his hand.

"I am going to go workout," Richie said and I nodded, letting him go. I laid down on the couch and began to think of the last time I attended a funeral.

1989: "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! I TOLD HER THAT YOU WERE PURE EVIL AND-"

"Roxanne, don't you think we have ALL had enough." Roxanne walked up to me but all I could do was stare at the grave of my best friend, Grace Matter. I felt a tear go down my cheek and she snorted.

"You don't DESERVE to cry, you don't–" she went to hit me but I grabbed her wrist and it finally all came crashing down.

"DON'T YOU THINK YOU ARE A MONSTER! I was there for her with her dying breath- NOT YOU. I was there with her 24/7 and you WEREN'T. She never treated you quite as good as you wanted and it makes you the way you are, rotten. Well, I have something to tell you, maybe she had a hard time trusting good people because of her GODDAMN PARENTS!" I threw her arms to the side and stared at her. She began to cry and left. I stared at the husband and he really didn't want this to happen. He made the face that says sorry all over it and followed her. I looked back down at the grave and put the white rose down. The people that gathered around the grave stared at me. I ignored them and stood there.

"Oh, Grace, I am so sorry for all of this, you really were one special girl and friend. Maybe one day I will be able to find who killed you, maybe one day I will be able to avenge you. I hate to see that night repeat in my nightmares every night. One day, whether it is today, tonight, or two weeks from now, I will find them. You were so special to me, and now you are gone. Why is life so cruel to those who love you? You were just so innocent and bright, you didn't deserve such rotten things. I guess my Father was right about one thing... The brightest stars burn the fastest." I left the graveyard and never spoke to the family again.