Chapter 22

"What was the last immortal you had to deal with?" I asked Duncan as Tessa handed me a cup of coffee. He laughed and Tessa sat next to him.

"A man that tried to kill Tessa's friend -thought he was God-" I almost spit out my coffee and I began to laugh. The phone went off and I looked at it and Tessa answered it. I blocked out the call as Richie began to talk to me.

"I was wondering if you wanted to actually sit down and have a nice dinner with me?" Richie asked and I felt so bad.

"Are you asking me out, Richie Ryan?" He laughed a little and looked at Duncan.

"As a friend." I nodded and Tessa hung up the phone.

"That was an old friend of mine, Duncan, he wants me to come over with you. He is so nice, you really should meet him." Duncan laughed as Tessa got more and more happy.

"I will, let me get ready." I sighed and began to think of Gavin again.

"How about you, Maria?" I looked up and shook my head.

"I think I'm going to stay here and take a rest. I have had a pretty big week with all of the moving around and renovating." She nodded and I got up and hugged her.

"If this is a friend of yours, I guarantee he is a good person, Tessa." She laughed a little and I looked at Richie and did a big grin.

"You better be ready for dinner when you get back... friend." He laughed a little and I got in my car and went back to the church where I entered with style, spinning and went to the back where Darius and Gavi looked at me.

"Hello, friends, how is life?" Gavin got up and kissed me, bringing me over to the table where they were playing chess. I stared at the board and realized Gavin was winning for once and I laughed.

"Darius... I don't think I have ever seen you lose a game of chess," I said and he laughed handing me a cup of tea and they got back to their game. I watched as Darius actually ended up winning the game and I laughed at Gavin.

"Darius... what the- right we're in church. How the heck did you manage to do that?" He laughed and went to the cupboard where he pulled out a book for me and handed it to me. I read the title and looked at him with a grin.

"How thoughtful, Darius." He laughed and Gavin looked at it, laughing. I looked out the window of the church and swore I saw someone staring at me, but when I blinked he was gone. I sighed and Gavin walked up behind me, hugging me.

"What's up, is everything alright?" I nodded and kissed him, Gavin walking back and they started a new game of chess. I looked back and didn't see a single soul, but I did see footprints in the dirt, telling me someone WAS there. I sighed and walked back over to them, sitting behind Gavin as they played.

"What did you come here for, Maria?" Darius asked and I looked at him and he looked at me.

"What, I can't just come here and hang out? I had churches, Darius, but none that have you living in it," I said and he laughed, Gavin kissing me on the forehead.

"I'm sorry, I thought you might be in trouble," he said and I laughed shaking my head.

"I am just messing, I came here to calm down. I have had such a long two weeks with the house and I haven't had time to really rest myself. I come here because I know that two of my favorite people are here and I can watch them... play chess and drink weird ass tea... sorry, didn't mean to cuss," I said and Darius just shook his head and I watched them finish their game, Darius obviously winning. I couldn't play chess well, but I knew the rules and basics. I went back over to the window and saw the man again, but this time he got in a car and left. I went out of the church and looked around, seeing if he left anything, but he didn't. I sighed and Gavin walked up, looking at me with confusion.