Chapter 16

I drove down to the church and entered to find Darius praying. I walked up and sat next to him and he didn't react, and I didn't interrupt. He just sat there and prayed. I sat there and smiled as I waited and he eventually opened his eyes and smiled at me.

"Sorry to disturb you, Darius, but is it okay if I talk to you about something?" He nodded and I sighed and sat closer to him.

"What is wrong Maria?"

"You have dreams, right? Premonitions almost?" He stared at me with confusion and nodded after a few minutes. I sighed and tried to make sense of it all.

"They have been scarce lately, but I still do have them, why, Maria, what is wrong?" I looked down at the ground and looked back up at him, sighing again.

"I think... Xavier St. Cloud is here," I said and he sat closer to me.

"Why would you think that?" He asked and grabbed my hands. I felt calmer and less shaky.

"I had a horrible dream last night, Darius, it was a memory I would have hoped to forget or at least never been brought up again. Do you remember when I first met Xavier?" He nodded, remembering it almost as clear as I did.

1640: I smiled at my sister as she left, even though I hated her guts. I jumped off of the hill and began to walk down the village path. I saw her begin to talk to another man and he looked at me as she pointed to me. He was the immortal I was feeling suddenly. I nodded and continued walking, not feeling immediately threatened by him. I began to pick berries for the herbal medicine the nurse needed when I felt him again. I turned around as I was crouched and looked up to see him and my sister holding hands. I stood up and stared at him and he stared at me.

"Maria, this is Xavier, he came here recently to-"

"You are in love with this man?" I asked and looked at her finally. She began to stutter and Xavier still stared at me. I put down the bucket and she began to laugh awkwardly.

"Yes, how did you know?" I looked down at their hands and she nodded, letting go of it. I squatted down and grabbed the bucket again, sliding past the two. She got angry and grabbed my arm, turning around.

"What is the matter?" She asked and looked back at him and then back at me.

"Whatever do you mean? I am just trying to stop people from dying. I will talk more after, Shana." She grabbed me again and I sighed and dropped the bucket again.

"Is it the color of his skin, because-"

"NO, you KNOW that would never affect the way I loved another. What is your problem?" I asked and walked off. I put the bucket on the counter and the nurse smiled as she took the berries to the back, bringing me some coins. I sighed and pushed them back to her.

"I don't need them," I said and walked back down the path with my cloak on this time. I felt the man again and I turned to see he was following me. I sighed and stopped. He walked up to me and smiled. I wasn't buying it one bit.

"What do you want- Xavier was it?" I went to turn away but he stood in front of me and put his hands up. I felt the lining of his jacket and realized he was unarmed.

"I honestly didn't know there was another immortal here," he said and put his hand on my back, walking with me.

"You didn't answer my question," I said and he laughed and it was all fake.

"I just want to be with your sister," he said and turned to me, stopping dead in his tracks. I shook my head and put my sword to his throat. I heard a scream and someone grabbed my arm and threw my sword. I looked back to see it was my sister. I stopped and looked at her.