Part 135

Maya POV

"Okay this kid got way too much for Christmas," I laughed, beginning to sort through all of Elva's Christmas presents

"Bellina you bought at least half of them," Carina laughed as she pulled a tray of cookies out of the oven.

I looked over my shoulder and rolled my eyes at her.

"I wanted to make sure she had a good Christmas," I pouted, folding a new pair of pyjamas that my mom bought her.

"She would've had the best time regardless. You know we'll have even more stuff when Winter moves in?" She said with a raised eyebrow.

"Shhh Elva might hear," I whispered, rushing over to her in the kitchen.

"She's still fast asleep," Carina said, popping a warm cookie in my mouth.

"Hey!" I said, before realising how yummy they were and finishing it off.

"Good?" She winked.

"So good," I practically moaned.

"What's with the baking anyway? It was Christmas 5 days ago?" I asked, switching the coffee machine on.

"I wanted to bring some cookies for Winter, you know, a little nice to meet you gift," she explained with a small smile.

"You're cute," I said, leaving the coffee for a moment to move closer to Carina.

I pushed her back slightly so she was leaning against the counter, my hands either side of her.

"I don't know how it's going to go bella," she sighed looking down a little.

"What do you mean?" I asked frowning.

"With the bambina everything was so quick and dramatic. I mean you rescued her from a fire and then social services moved her without us knowing and then she ran away and you found her again and then..." she rambled on, her hands waving all over the place.

"Woahhh Carina stop," I said whilst reaching for her arms.

Pulling them down to her sides, I forced her to look at me.

"My love breathe," I said calmly.

"Breathe deep for a moment," I repeated.

"What if she doesn't like us?" Carina said seriously.

I sighed.

Part of me had been wondering that too.

"We won't know until we meet her beautiful, all we can do is be ourselves," I assured her, squeezing both her hands.

"And how can we keep it a secret about Elva, surely she would want to know that she's safe?" Carina said, taking over from me and starting to make the coffee again.