Part 35

Carina POV

Maya messaged earlier to let me know that for one reason or another her shift had been incredibly busy so she'd asked Jennie to walk Elva to the hospital after school.

I'd already spoken with the child minders in the hospital to let them know Elva might be with them from time to time but luckily today was a quiet one for me.

I'd been walking round all day just looking for something to do.

I noticed my pager go off. It was reception, Elva had been dropped off.

"Hello bambina," I smiled happily as soon as I saw her.

"Thank you," I said to Jennie before she left.

"Coming with mama?" I said, holing my hand out to her.

I checked my watch and realised I was due a break around now anyway. The weather was still lovely outside so I took hold of Elva's hand and led her back out.

I grabbed us both a drink and we sat down on a bench.

"How was school bambina?" I asked her.

She took a sip of her apple juice.

"We were doing sport and Miss Thomas said I was the fastest one in the class. Even faster than the boys," she told me excitedly.

"That doesn't surprise me at all Elva," I laughed.

"And Lewis is still in trouble but Mrs Williams came to give me a sticker to say sorry for saying I pulled the alarm," she added.

"That's nice of her," I said, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Carina hi," I heard. I looked up and saw Meredith, Elva glanced up too, looking a little nervous.

"Can I join you?" She asked.

"Si of course," I said. I lifted Elva onto my lap to make room on the bench for Meredith.

Elva turned into me slightly and lay her head down on my shoulder.

"It's nice to see you again Elva, do you remember me?" She asked gently.

I felt Elva nod a little.

"This is Meredith, she's a very good doctor," I told her.

"And I have a daughter who's a few years older than you who I'm sure would love to meet you," she added.

Elva sat up a little bit.

"What's her name?" She asked shyly.

"She's called Zola but I have two other children, Bailey and Ellis, who would also love to play," Meredith explained.

Elva looked up at me.

"We can arrange something bambina," I smiled.

Elva was happy with that and rested her head back down on my shoulder. I could feel her little hands playing with the collar of my pink scrubs. She's always tired straight from school so was in her own little world as Meredith and I turned the conversation to something less child friendly, knowing Elva wasn't paying any attention anymore.

"Has she met Andrew?" Meredith asked.

I shook my head.

"Not yet, I've not spoken to him properly myself. Do you know when he's coming back work?" I asked her.

"In around two weeks I heard. He's phasing back so won't be back to full shifts straight away," she explained.

"I'm not worried about him meeting her, our family is huge, he's amazing with children," I told her.