Part 73

Maya POV

"Mom?"

"Hi sweetie," she said, raising her hand awkwardly.

I took a glance around at everyone staring and at Elva who'd been lifted up onto Carina's hip.

"Okay who fancies karaoke?" Andy asked, ushering everyone back further into the lounge and turning the music back up.

Grateful for her help, I turned back to my mother, still stood in the doorway.

"Erm mom come in," I said a little flustered.

"We can go through to the kitchen," I added, turning and leading the way.

"Why don't you come with me mija," Andy said, popping back over to us to get Elva.

Carina moved to hand Elva over to Andy but she was not about to go easy. Elvie clung onto Carina, the stranger in he apartment clearly unsettling her.

"Mama," she wined, attempting to hold on to Carina.

"Shhh bambina, go with Andy for 5 minutes," she said calmly.

"Mama ma-ma," she stuttered, beginning to cry.

I could see Carina desperately trying not to give in. 

Getting worked up, Elva turned her attention to me.

"Mommy," she cried, holding her arms out for me.

I watched as a look of realisation appeared on my mom's face.

I walked over to Carina a little.

"Elvie breathe baby girl, go with Andy. Everything's alright Elvie," I assured her, stroking my hand down her tear stained cheek.

"Come on niña, let's go laugh at Travis trying to sing," Andy said with a laugh, reaching out for our baby again.

Reluctantly, Elva let go of her grip on Carina's dress, allowing herself to be lifted into Andy's arms.

"Shhh good girl sweetheart," I soothed, rubbing her back as a few small tears fell.

"Mommy and I will just be in the kitchen bambina, we won't be long," Carina explained, bending down to kiss her.

Andy gave me a reassuring nod and carried our girl off to rejoin the others.

The three of us silently made our way into the kitchen.

"Mom you remember Carina? You met at the station," I reminded her.

"Yes yes, nice to see you again," She smiled.

There was a small silence, nobody knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry I've turned up at a bad time," my mom said apologetically, breaking up the quiet.

"And why are you here?" I asked, trying not to go straight into defence mode.

I felt Carina place a comforting hand on my lower back, gently rubbing her thumb across my skin.

"I know I messaged you earlier, but I couldn't take it at home with your dad anymore. I didn't know where else to go," she explained.

I gestured for her to sit down around the table, Carina and I doing the same.

"Can I get you a drink?" Carina offered.

"Just some water please," my mom smiled appreciatively.

Carina got up to sort that out, returning a moment later with a glass of water.

"Does dad know you're here?" I asked, nervous of him turning up unexpectedly and having Elva around.