Part 49

Carina POV

"Mommy not coming," Elva pouted as Maya said goodbye and left for work.

"She's got to go to work bambina, you can call her later though," I said positively, trying to keep her in a good mood.

"You stay?" She asked.

I bent down to her height and stroked her hair out of her face.

"I'll be with you the whole time bella," I said gently.

"Jello?" She smiled.

"I think your mama can pull some strings," I winked, taking hold of her good hand.

We arrived at the hospital and I made my way up to paediatrics.

"Carina hi," Arizona said cheerfully, walking towards us.

I felt Elva move closer to my side. I stopped in front of Arizona at the nurses station.

"And you must be the famous Elva," she smiled.

Elva nodded shyly and held onto my leg.

"Everything alright?" She asked, her voice full of concern.

"Are you free?" I asked seriously, glancing down at Elva.

She paused for a moment.

"Sure, room 5 is free. I'll be with you in a minute," she said.

Elva and I headed towards room 5. I lifted her up onto the hospital bed.

"Ring mommy now?" She asked hopefully.

I chuckled and shook my head, "Not just yet bambina."

Arizona came back a few minutes later joined with Helm and another intern.

"Helm, why don't you show Elva how we use the iPad to put patients information in while I have a quick word with Dr DeLuca," Arizona instructed.

I turned and went to step out the room.

"Mama," Elva called.

"I'll be right back bella," I assured her, quickly joining Arizona outside the room.

"So what's going on?" She asked seriously.

I explained what Elva had told us and that I wanted Arizona to ring social services and the police to let them know. I didn't want it to come across that Maya and I were making it all up to get ahead in the adoption race.

"We'll need pictures, you know that right?" She said.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair.

"Yes, but no interns. Just you and me," I warned.

"No problem," she agreed.

We re-entered the room and Arizona reassigned the interns.

"Okay Elva, your mama told me you've got a poorly wrist. Can I see it?" She said kindly.

Elva looked up at me nervously.

"It's okay bella," I nodded reassuringly.

She held out her arm for Arizona. By the looks of things it had bruised more overnight.

"That looks sore sweetie, does it hurt if I move it like this?" She asked, twisting her arm slightly.

Elva winced in paid and pulled her arm back.

"Okay okay sweetheart I'm sorry. I think we need to take a special picture of your wrist," she said, frowning slightly.

"Mama said it's an X-Ray," Elva said proudly.