Part 64

Carina POV

Maya had messaged to let me know that Elva was asleep and to be quiet when I got home.
I made sure to sneak in and silently close the door behind me.

I saw that Elva was fast asleep on the sofa. Walking over to check she was alright, I softly pressed the back of my hand to her forehead. Feeling she was a little warm, I carefully pulled back the blanket a little before going to find Maya on the kitchen.

"Hello bellina," I greeted, wrapping my arms around her waist.

She put down the spoon she was using and turned around to face me. With my arms still around her, I pulled her close enough to connect our lips.

"I'm glad you're home," she smiled into the kiss.

"That's a nice welcome home," I smirked in reply.

"How's Elva been?," I asked, getting out two wine glasses.

"This is her third nap since getting home this morning, she's exhausted. She seems to have a burst of energy then crashes," she explained.

I nodded and poured the wine out.

""That's to be expected. I felt her head when I came in and she was a little warm. I'll take her temperature when she wakes up," I said.

I pulled out a chair around the table and sat down between the kitchen and the lounge so I could keep an eye on Elva while Maya made dinner.

"How was Andy?" I asked.

Maya took a sip of wine before replying.

"She's great, she got Elva her own fire truck so they've been playing all afternoon. It's not wonder she's tired," she laughed.

"And the station?"

"They're starting rebuilding tomorrow, I'm gonna head down just to check in," she informed me.

"Oh there's something else," she said quickly, rushing over to the coffee table.

She returned with a letter that she handed over to me. I eyed her curiously as she turned back to the stove. I took out the letter and began to read. It was addressed to both Maya and I.

"The court hearing is in two weeks?" I asked in shock. 

She smiled nervously, nodding her head.

"Wow!" I breathed out.

"Do we need a lawyer? I've not even been thinking about it all with everything that's happened recently," I said, taking a bigger sip of wine.

"I'll make a call in the morning. We want to make sure we're as prepared as we can be," Maya replied, joining me at the table.

"Dinner will be twenty minutes," she added.

"Have you told Elva?"

"No, we need more information first," she said as she glanced over her shoulder at our girl.

Maya grabbed a notebook and between us we jotted down all the questions we needed a lawyer to answer.

"Will you go wake Elva up while I serve dinner," Maya said, kissing me softly and getting up from the table.

I headed over to Elva and crouched down beside the sofa. I ran my fingers through her hair and gently rested my hand on her cheek.

"Hey bambina, wake up for mama," I whispered softly.

"Time to wake up bambina," I sang quietly.

"Bambina, mama wants to say hello,"

Her eyes slowly fluttered open as she raised her arms above her head to stretch.