Part 10

Maya POV

"Maya are you insane? You need to bring her in right now!" Carina shouted down the phone.

"Shhh she's asleep," I whisper shouted back.

Andy was driving the Aid car while I stayed in the back with Elva asleep on me. I had Carina on the phone and she was not happy.

"She needs to be checked over," she said.

"I know, we've been as thorough as we can from the aid car. She's dehydrated & malnourished but everything else looks okay," I reassured.

"Maya have you heard yourself?"

"Carina please. Social services will just move her again," I tried to reason.

"But that's their job," she countered.

I sighed.

"I'm sorry, I have to do this, I don't know why, I just need to," I explained.

I felt Elva stir a little.

"Shhh," I soothed.

"Where are you?" She asked.

"On the way to our apartment, we're about 5 minutes away."

"I'll see you in 10," she said.

"Carina!"

She'd hung up.

I sighed and tried to put my phone away without disturbing Elva.

"I'm gonna look after you bubba," I whispered to her as she slept.

Arriving outside my apartment, I very carefully climbed out the back of the Aid car.

"I think I should head back to the station, they'll be wondering where we got to," Andy said.

"Yeah, tell them I had an emergency meeting with the chief. I'll make an excuse for it later. You're in charge lieutenant," I smiled.

"You okay with her?" She asked, gesturing to Elva.

"I'll be fine, Carina's on her way," I smiled.

"See you later Bishop,"

I managed to get myself into the appartement whilst still holding Elva. She must be exhausted if she's stayed asleep through all this I thought.
I settled her down on the sofa and went to make a coffee, I definitely needed it, I made enough for Carina too. But based on our conversation earlier I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted tequila.

I sat in the armchair opposite the sofa just watching Elva sleep while I waited for Carina.

A few minutes later, I heard the door open, I looked up and saw Carina walking in. I put my finger to my lips to indicate she should be quiet.

With my hand I beckoned her into the kitchen.

I poured her a cup of coffee while she took her jacket off.

"How long has she been asleep?" She asked me.

"About an hour," I answered.

"She's exhausted," I added.

"She will be, especially if she's dehydrated and malnourished. She needs fluids," Carina said, looking over from the kitchen in Elva's direction.

"I know, I only managed to get half a bottle of water down her. She wouldn't take anymore from me," I explained.

"If we're keeping her here for a bit she'll have no choice. We'll need to force it down her,"

I sighed, that wouldn't be pleasant.