Prologue

POV: Jade Tate

There is a benefit to being a young up-and-coming actress. The benefit, well in the offseason I get to lay around and do nothing. Who knew being in a silly Disney show would pay so much? Now I can just sit and relax all day...

Okay, I'm bored. When is Skylar going to get home? I miss her already. Ugh! It wasn't so bad before because I was always at work and she was always at school, but now I'm free all day and she still has school, still has track meets, and still has to go to work. As her fiancée I told her she doesn't have to work, that I could support us both, but no. Someone thinks it's a good idea not to be so codependent. Like isn't that the whole point of getting engaged?

Or am I making this up?

"Ugh!" I roll over in bed.

The Countess gives me a mean glare and jumps off the bed. She stretches out, her tail fluffed up, then she casually strolls out of the room. I swear that cat has such an attitude, sometimes I feel like she is out to get me. Which is so unfair because I'm her freaking owner!

My phone begins to ring and vibrate and I sit up. Finally, something to do. It's a number I don't recognize but might as well answer it.

"Hello?"

"Jade this is Kathy, the producer for the show Evil Eyes. Well, I saw your audition and I am calling to tell you we are offering you the role of Regan."

"What! Oh my god, like for real?"

"Yes," Kathy laughs.

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes." I squeal in excitement.

"Awesome, glad to have you on board. We will be sending you some scripts and information packets. Filming will start next month, our first table read will be in a couple of weeks. It's going to be filmed in Toronto Canada, is that going to be an issue for you?"

Canada... but...

"Jade?"

"Oh uh... no. No. that won't be an issue. I'll figure it out."

"Great! Then I'll see you soon." With that, she hung up.

Canada. That's pretty far away from here. What about Skylar? She can't just come with me, she has school. A full ride for track here at UCLA, this is still only her freshmen year that's not something she can just throw away. She can't just drop everything and come with me.

What am I going to do?

We're engaged. We love each other. I can't just leave, but this show... This is my chance to break out of this child star mold and get out into the real roles. This is a chance for my career to really take off. I mean Regan, that is like the main role. The role of the antagonist, I mean they can't do the show without me. The show literally cannot go on without that role being filled. This is what I've always wanted, a lead role, in a new series that will most certainly be a hit.

Part of me is extremely excited, and the other part is extremely terrified. There is no in-between. This is a chance of a lifetime. There is no way I can pass up this job, but if I take it, I will have to leave her behind.

Just the thought makes me feel sick to my stomach.

How am I going to tell her? I feel like we are finally settled down, finally in a good place, and now this? No. This is awful, this will ruin everything we've worked for. I can't take the role. I'll just have to call Kathy back and decline. Tell her something came up.

I get up out of bed and begin to pace around the house. I need to think. I don't want to pass up the role, but I also don't want to leave Skylar. We just got engaged, how would that make me look?