Ricky

Ricky's POV

I watch as my dad's casket is buried in the ground. Every emotion I've felt this whole year was washing back, anger, sadness, depression, all of it. He, is it even healthy for a human to feel this much this many emotions all at once?

Everyone went home, but I stayed. Every time I tried to leave, I could always hear his voice telling me to turn back and stay. Or maybe it was all in my hand. I hold a Rose in his hand, his favorite.

"Ricky, sweetie" Miss Jenn rubs my arm. I turn back to her and try to play it off with a smile. "I'm okay. I'm just gonna...stay for a while." With a smile, she kisses my cheek and slowly walks away.

"I'm sorry, dad. I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I'm sorry I took away the normal life you wanted for both of us, I'm...I'm so sorry for everything." I feel my knees buckle and I kneel down on the ground, crying.

Why am I so emotional?

Why do I have to lose everything?

Day after day, I would come and mourn my dad at his grave. Days became weeks. I cut myself off from everyone, even Ally. I just...I needed some time to myself. I don't know how I'm still going after everything I've been through.

I don't know how I haven't lost my mind yet.

But I guess I really did tear my family apart.

"It's just you and me," he said. Now it's just me.

I felt a presence behind me. I turn around and see EJ in a black and white suit. "Hey" he smiles.

"Hey."

"Bubba, come here" he walks closer to me and gives me a tight hug. I collapse into my best friend's arms as I cried and cried. He rubbed my back with one hand and ran his other through my curls.

"I know how it feels. It'll be okay."

"How long did it take you?"

"A while, but I got there with the help of my friends. And with my help, I'm hoping I can get you there too."

"EJ, that's sweet, but I think I'm gonna need more than my best friend."

"Then how about a brother?"

I pull away, looking at him confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Read the card" He reaches into his pocket and hands me a car. I open it and read what he put.

I'm sorry about your loss, but here's what you've gained

A new home
A new family
A new brother

"Eej, what's this?"

"Well, we've shared a room for months, I'm sure we can do it again, and Ash's parents said it's okay, so... You wanna move in?" He asks me.

I felt my heart stop working. My eyes widen. "Are you serious?"

"Dead serious. Oh! Sorry. Anyway, is that a yes?"

I pull EJ in for the tightest hug. "Yeah! Of course! Thanks, bro!" EJ laughs and hugged back. "No problem man"

"No, seriously, EJ, you don't have to do this."

"Yeah, I do. You said we were brothers. I thought we could be...actual brothers."

With a laugh, I turn back to my fathers grave. I have to consider his thought. "You think he would want this?"

"Well, he wouldn't want you to be on your own."

My eyes switch from his grave to my friend's. He was right. My dad would want me to be with people who love me. And EJ's made it clear he's one of these people.