29

Ricky's POV

EJ and I follow Big Red to Ashlyn's locker. I gotta make this quick so I can talk to Walker about my little surprise. "My cousin's locker?" EJ asks.

"Look, uh" Big Red stars. "I know Ashlyn is super down to earth, but I gotta be honest, when I found out she got the lead in the show and she has these amazing magic powers that could seriously make her I Disney princess, something happened inside of me, and then, I had to use the restroom."

Okay, you don't have to say that part out loud" I whisper to him.

"I'm not the kind of guy that dates the lead in the show, let alone a superhero. I'm surprised my 2 best friends are superheroes! I don't wanna blow it with her on Valentine's Day. I mean, the whole day is about the color red. I should have this on lock."

"That's a terrible joke," EJ says.

"And if you don't wanna blow it, ask EJ for help, he did a bunch of stuff for Gina today. New kicks, something in her locker..."

"Ricky, this isn't about me, it's about Red and my cousin. What's the plan?"

"Well, I came up with an idea to do a little singing telegram for her and it starts with me popping out this bad boy" he starts to open up her locker, wait what? "You're breaking in?"

"We traded locker combos as an act of trust."

"Is that what you did with Gina?" I ask EJ. "No, I just warped her locker into a dor."

"Isn't that kinda worst?"

"Guys!" Big Red says. We watch him squeeze himself into the locker and close the door. "Should we be concerned?" EJ asks and I shrug. I'm not even sure what to think. "Okay, ready?" Big Red asks.

I look at EJ and he raises his eyebrows. "For what?"

"To give me notes. I'm gonna run it."

Oh, no. Big Red's never been the best at running things. EJ and I take a small step back in case this backfires. Suddenly, Red starts banging on the door. "Uh, guys, I think it's locked." You gotta be kidding me

"I'm gonna get help, EJ, stay here in case he manages to get out," I say before running down the halls. I make it downstairs and my plan was to...

"Artist!"

Meet Walker and tell him about my surprise. He turns to me, clenching his canvas bag in his hand, and gives me one of his sweet smiles. "Hi" he grins.

"Hi."

"What's up, Golden Boy?"

"Golden Boy?" I kinda like that...at least from him. "Yeah, I kinda have a thing with nicknames. I call Gina Pheonix Girl, Cyrus Bar Mitzvah boy, Jack, Airplane Boy. And you call me Artist, I thought it'd be fair."

"Golden Boy? Alright, but only you can call me that."

"Well, I can up with the name so I think that's only fair. So...did you wanna talk about something important or you did just want to hang?"

"Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to...come over after school. I have this little surprise I think you'd really like."

"Really?"

"Yeah, well, Nini's focusing on her music, EJ and Gina are a thing now, Big Red is focused on Ash, so don't take it personally but you're kinda my 4th choice" I joke. "Really, I thought I was a cool guy with Spider powers" Walker tilts his head with a fake frown.

"Nah, I'm cool, you're amazing" I pat his shoulder. Truth be told, I felt kinda bad that his mom's past haunts him, so I wanted to take him somewhere to help get his mind off of it. "So...about coming over?"