Romeo and Juliet

Raphael's POV

"A glooming peace this morning with it brings..." I whispered the last lines of the book I held above my face while resting on the ground. "The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head..."

"Go hence to have more talk of these sad things..." Nilapit ko ang libro sa aking mukha nang mapalapit na rin ako sa pinakahuling linya. "Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished..."

In the middle of the wheat field, I gently rolled over on my stomach and lowered the book so the sun behind me can perfectly shine on the final page.

"For never was a story of more woe..." Dahan-dahang umangat ang aking tingin nang bitawan ko ang huling linya. "Than this of Juliet and her Romeo..."

Sinarado ko ang libro nang nakangiti.

What a beautiful love story, I thought. They definitely deserved to die.

 I rolled on my back once again, and held the book in one hand as I sprawled across the field, feeling the cold of the fresh breeze that slightly moved my hair and the hem of my shirt.

Napatitig ako sa puting kalangitan. Itinaas ko ang aking kamay habang nakahiga sa lupa, para subukang abutin ang mga hugis ng ulap na mabagal na dumadaloy sa himpapawid.

My finger gently traced the outline of one of the clouds that almost formed the head of a rabbit.

Blue skies... Purple curtains...

I will never know what they mean. For I have only read of colors, and heard of it. But I have never seen one of them. Except maybe white, black, gray, and a bit of gold or yellow, a color that my father introduced to me with the help of my mother.

Lowering my hand on my chest, I slowly closed my eyes.

The calm winds that passed through the wheat field serenated my ears with a solemn rush, and my soul never felt more at peace.

"Raphael," narinig kong sambit ng malumanay na tinig ng isang babae.

"Hello, mother," bati ko sa kanya nang hindi pa rin binubuksan ang aking mga mata.

She stood beside me and had her eyes down on me. I couldn't see it, but I could feel the weight of her presence, emphasized by her heavier gaze.

"A letter came for you."

Namulat ako, sa puting kalangitan pa rin. At mula sa mga ulap, inilipat ko ang aking paningin sa mga matang nakatuon sa'kin.

Kumunot ang aking noo. "A letter?"

Her lips curved to form a subtle smile. "From the mortal realms, Raph."

"Hmm." I hummed in response, before carefully lifting myself up and stood taller than the woman beside me.

"Have you read this already, mother?" I showed her the book in my hand. "I found it in father's library."

Kinuha niya ito mula sa kamay ko. "Romeo and Juliet?"

Panandalian kong sinulyapan ang pamagat na nasa harapan ng libro.

"No, I haven't," sagot niya. "But I have heard of it..." Inangat niya ang kanyang tingin sa'kin. "Bakit? Nagustuhan mo ba?"

"The star-crossed lovers died in the end. One drank poison and the other, stabbed herself." kwento ko sa kanya. "Their lives were tragic, but their death... it was beautiful."

Tinaasan niya ako ng isang kilay.

Samantalang, nginitian ko naman siya. "I loved it."

Tinapik-tapik niya ang libro sa palad niya habang pinapaningkitan ako.