Aftermath

Paige's POV

I was sleeping peacefully. And before I woke, I thought everything that happened was just a dream.

From the moment Henri arrived, to when we gathered to attack the huntsmen...

Gumulong ako patagilid.

Letting out a faint groan, I pressed my palm on the rocks and forced myself up. Slowly but surely, I stood on my feet, only to get overwhelmed by different sensations around me.

Everything's a mess.

It smelled of fire and blood. The once blue river turned muddy gray due to ash and dirt. There was debris everywhere. Chunks of cement and huge rocks scattered on the unleveled ground. Trees on a closer distance were either blown away or leaned away from where I stood.

And from afar, I could hear different volumes of explosions.

It was dark and cold. And a smoky fog has surrounded the base of the mountain. It reached until the far end of the forest.

Wala na akong gaanong maaninag sa malayo dahil sa usok na umaligid mula sa kinatatayuan ko hanggang sa abot ng kaya kong makita. Hindi ko na rin masulyapan ang kalangitan dahil mas makapal ang hamog sa itaas.

Umikot-ikot ako at napatigil pagkatapos makita si Vance na nakahimlay sa isang malaking bato.

Tumakbo ako sa kanya. "Vance-" Yumuko ako sa tabi niya. Hinawakan ko ang magkabilang balikat niya at mahina siyang niyugyog. "Vance!" 

My heart raced at the sight of his ashened hair. Dried blood stained half of his face, and bruises covered a corner of his jaw down to his bloodied chest that, to my relief, still heaved up and down.

From the small gap of his parted lips, I heard the faint sound of air slowly inhaled and exhaled. 

And his shoulders slightly shivered after he let out a shaky breath, meaning he was silently in pain.

Inayos ko ang pagkakasandal niya sa bato.

Tumayo ako at luminga-linga. 

Kasunod kong natagpuan si Amber na nasa tabi ng paanan ng isang puno. Halos matakpan na ang balat niya sa lupa at abo. Napuno siya sa mga pasa at sugat, at nabalot sa dugo ang bandage na nasa isang binti niya.

Lumapit ako sa kanya at dinama ang pulso sa kanyang leeg.

Bahagyang pumiling ang kanyang ulo sa kamay ko nang hawakan ko siya.

"Amber?" mahina kong sambit.

Gumilid sa kabila ang ulo niya nang nakakunot ang noo.

"Amber," muli kong tawag sa kanya.

Her eyes fluttered for a few seconds before she finally opened them. She slowly straightened her neck to face me, wincing in the process.

She pursed her lips, and managed to breathe out a short whisper. "Paige?"

"Stay there," tugon ko. "I'm going to look for the others."

As I was about to stand, she gently tugged the edge of my cape.

I looked at her.

Mabagal na bumukas-sara ang kanyang mga mata. "Reign..." mahina niyang sabi, bago dahan-dahang napapikit at napabitaw sa kapa ko.

Matagal-tagal ko siyang minasdan, saka tumayo.

The sound of explosions didn't stop. It continued to echo around the mountain and I glanced at the direction where it came from.