19 | All of the Stars

JESSICA'S POV:

Matt ended up staying for dinner because my mom made her famous spaghetti and meatballs. We were back on the couch now like the lazy sack of potatoes we are; I was laying down on one side and Matt kept shifting on the other.

"Jess?" Matt looked over at me.

"Yes Matt?"

"Can you do me a favor?"

"If it involves getting kicked in the face again then no" I said sarcastically.

"No, can you walk on my back?"

"How bad did you hurt yourself?" I asked feeling bad.

"I'm not sure, hopefully not that bad." He shrugged and slowly laid down on his stomach.

"I'm sorry if I crush you." I started to put one foot on his back.

"You're not going to crush me" he mumbled into the ground. I slowly stood on Matt's back trying to balance myself.

"So is this it?" I carefully walked back and fourth on his back.

"Yeah. Wow I give props to whoever came up with this" Matt relaxed under me.

"Guys I started the fireplace outside do you want to make some s'mores and-" my mom just starred at us. "I'm not even going to ask. S'mores are outside if you want some" and she left laughing to herself.

"You good?" I asked getting off his back.

"Yeah, thanks" we both got off the ground and headed outside. Matt grabbed a stick and passed the other stick to me.

"Shall we duel for a marshmallow?" Matt said in a weird voice and pointed his stick at my face.

"No I don't want to lose an eyeball" I laughed and grabbed a marshmallow out of the bag, pushing it down onto the stick.

"Uh Matt.." I said.

"Yeah?" He looked up from his phone.

"Your marshmallow is on fire" I stared at the glowing fireball.

"Oh shoot!" He took the gooey mess away from the fire and blew it out, but not in time, the marshmallow was burnt.

"Guess I'm too hot for marshmallows" Matt said.

"Cocky much?" I laughed.

"Hey!" He threw his burnt marshmallow at me, let's just say that started the great marshmallow war.

***

"Thank you for having me over tonight Ms. Peterson" Matt smiled.

"You're welcome honey I hope your back feels better" my mom said before walking into the house, leaving us alone.

"I'll see you to tomorrow?" Matt smiled.

"Monday" I reminded him.

"You're not going?" He frowned.

"No. Didn't get asked." It was quiet for a second. "But I'm okay with it" I tried to keep the conversation going. "Matt." I waved my hand over his face, he seemed to be in some kind of trance.

"Yeah, sorry. I'll see you soon" he smiled and then walked down my driveway.

When I walked back into the kitchen my mom was looking at me as if she was looking into my soul.

"What?" I asked.

"Jess, I'm going on a business trip and I won't be back for two weeks." She looked like at me with sympathy.