42. I Like You A Lot

Luna's POV

9:08 pm

My fingers feathered softly, repeating the same motion. Every time I'd repeat, I'd tug just a little bit more of his hair.

He grunted and sighed, making my body pool with warmth. "Yeah...keep doing that."

Sitting on my bed, with empty Chinese takeout containers on my dresser, we lay together in the dark. The only light coming in was from the lamp post outside. It seeped through the curtains, creating this blueish white ambiance.

Jax sat with his head in my lap and I leaned against my headboard, massaging his head. His eyes were closed and he was humming to himself.

We spent a while talking about everything that had happened between him and his Dad. He cried while I silently held him.

It was so different seeing Jax lose his composure. I was usually the one falling apart and having a breakdown while he held me. He hadn't talked much about what was going on between him and his dad so I just thought that things weren't that bad.

Even though his Dad apologized, Jax was still left hurting. I wanted to be there for him, in the same way, he'd always been there for me.

I drew little circles on his cheek with the pad of my thumb. He grabbed my hands and kissed my palm, then my knuckles. Releasing my hand, he opened his eyes and looked up at me.

The light from outside was enough to illuminate both of our faces. My hand landed on his chest and I slipped it in beneath his dress shirt, touching his bare chest. His tie was currently sitting on my chair and his shoes were neatly placed at the door.

We had the whole house to ourselves tonight. My mom was at my aunt's house preparing for the family reunion that was taking place tomorrow. I really didn't want to go because the number of questions I get asked at those was painful. But I skipped last year's so I couldn't just not show up this time. Carmen was at Gen's apartment because she wanted to see the baby. Maya was staying there because Will had to leave for training camp. Ben was visiting for the next two weeks and I was excited to see him too. I had to go visit the baby when I got the chance.

As for Sam, I had no clue where he was.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, his voice sore and small.

"You and your Dad." I went back to massaging his hair. I wish we could stay like this forever. "Sometimes parents just do things so incorrectly tha--

"Moon," He argued. I was trying to play devil's advocate. I couldn't tell if he was giving up hope on the relationship completely. "He gave me distance when I needed him to give me love."

I grabbed his chin and forced his eyes on me. "I just don't want you to throw away everything and regret things later."

He pulled out of my grasp and sat up. Turning around, I could see the same pain on his face that he wore a bit earlier. Like he was about to cry.

"Luna, it isn't that simple."

I sat up and on my legs. "But it can be. Your Dad's alive Jax. You get to choose whether or not you want him in your life." My throat formed a lump suddenly. I could hear the change in my voice and so cold he. He stood up and ran his hands through the sides of his hair, pulling at it. Taking a breath out and in, he shook his head.

"Luna, your dad not being in your life wasn't his choice," He said with furrowed brows. He looked angry now. "My Dad didn't care to be a part of mine because he thought his business was more important. It's not the same."

I flinched, feeling hurt and heated.

"Really? This is what we're doing now?" I said angrily. "We're comparing circumstances?"