31. Les Misérables

Luna and Carmen's outfits

Sunday night, July 31st7:06 pm

7:06 pm

"Wow," I said leaning my hands on the bed, looking at Gen's yearbook. "You look so different."

She turned her head to the side and smiled. "I know. I was the poster child for school spirit." She was laying on her stomach, flipping through the pages of her high school yearbook.

Looking at the pictures, I realized how she was wearing a cheering uniform in most of them

"I was cheer captain for two years." She sounded wistful and sad. "Such of waste of my time looking at it now."

"How many years?"

"I started when I was 4 and quit like 2 years ago, so about 15."

I raised my eyebrows, thinking about it. That's a lot of time.

I'd been dancing for longer but I couldn't imagine doing something for so long only to quit.

"Why'd you give it up?" Lying down beside her, I snuggled into one of the throw pillows of her bed.

She bristled and closed the book abruptly with a loud snap. "Because I did it for my mom and I promised myself I'd stop living for her years ago."

Tossing the book at the armchair across the room, she flipped on her backside and looked up at the ceiling.

"Do you think you'll ever talk to her again?" I asked softly.

She sighed and wrapped her arms around herself. "No. I think two years ago I would've given it a second thought, but now...I know what real family is supposed to feel like."

"In that house, I never felt at home." She admitted. "Which is why I cheered for so long. It kept me out of the house."

I remembered Maya telling me about how she was always home cleaning up after her Aunt, making sure the family antique store was running smoothly. Her aunt was an alcoholic on top of it all, so she was rarely sober when she was around. She described herself as a modern-day Cinderella and by the sounds of it, she was.