12. Best Days

A/N: Best Days by Alessia Cara is the title of the song for their first performance. I think it's a beautiful song and has a great message. Hopefully, you guys like it. I would highly highly highly recommend listening to it while you read so you can feel the emotion of the dance. The lyrics will be in the story because it helps visualize the scene. For every lyric an action follows it. I hope this isn't too confusing lmaoooo. Enjoy!

Luna's POV

15 seconds before the performance

I expelled a long breath from my lungs and faced the crowd. I couldn't see most of them because the lights were blinding up above me.

It was pure silence and the only thing I could hear was Jax's breathing.

We sat back to back, waiting in our formation.

Here goes nothing.

The opening piano started.

So much harder to be honest

We both reached out and pulled away from each other like we were being pulled forward.

With yourself at 20-something

I lifted up off the ground and opened my arms wide, running forward.

Wish I knew what I'm becoming

Jax grabbed me before I could get far and I fought against his body.

And felt the ground while I was on it

I stopped resisting and let him hold me back. My feet touched the ground and I laid the back of my head against his chest, exhausted.

Hoping, waiting on a moment

He placed his hands on my waist and lifted me up. I kicked my feet up and let my hands hold onto his shoulders. He flipped me over his shoulder.

Not knowing if it's coming or it's going, mhm

I landed gracefully onto the ground and turned from him, looking for something. His arms wrapped around my body fully and I closed my eyes with sadness.

I was the stress of life while he was the one trying to hold me down and keep me stable.

What if my best days are the days I've left behind?

We parted from each other in a swaying motion and copied each other's movements. With two jetés forward (leaps) and one full-body flip, we both stopped at the edge of the stage.

And what if the rest stays the same for all my life?

I could hear the sound of the crowd cheering but ignored it. Jax reached for my stomach before I could get close enough to falling off the stage. I covered my eyes and my body pretended to panic.

I'm running with my eyes closed, so it goes
You live and then you die

He spun me around and my dress lifted, the skirt flowing around me. He pulled my hands away from my eyes and dragged me closer to him.

I grabbed onto his shirt and pulled his face closer to mine so that we were near kissing.

My face was riddled with agony and his with compassion.

I was feeling the music now, fully embracing the mood.

But the hardest pill to swallow is the meantime

He placed his hands on my waist and lifted me up high above him. My head fell back as I stared at the ceiling for a split second.

Are the best days just the ones that we survive?