5. Finding A Song

Jax's POV

June 11th

2:28 pm

I was in uncharted territory now.

My Dad didn't pick up my calls anymore and when my mom called she would wail about how she hated that we weren't speaking.

"Voglio che entrambi i miei siano felici," She said. (I want both of my babies to be happy.)

Louis called me and burst into a fit of laughter. He said "fucking finally" like he had been anticipating this.

Maybe he was just happy that he wasn't the only "disappointment" of the family.

Even my Zias (aunts) called claiming that their favorite nipote (nephew) was having an almost quarter-life crisis. My cousins were asking for updates every day like the nosey people they were.

The only person who supported my decision was my Nonna, who said that as long as I was still dancing she was happy. The 86 year-old woman held my heart in more ways than one.

I hadn't seen her in a few weeks and I had already missed her. I needed to get back to Tuscany. I only got to spend a few weeks there and I came back sunburnt.

She lived in the countryside where the cell service was almost non-existent and the view was gorgeous.

Nonna moved back there after Nonno died.

I had a lot of family there.

Even though I was born in New York City, Tuscany would always feel more like home.

Plus it wasn't like I had any other options. I couldn't go back now.

I was tired of trying to please my Dad. He was never satisfied.

The music stopped, ceasing my thoughts.

Scarlet, Ozzie, and Kingston all stood together catching their breath, while Carmen had her hands on the remote.

They had already made decent progress in the span of a week. Scarlet chose a song that was a mixture of classical music and hip-hop.

The story of the piece was Snow-white and her dwarves and their time in the woods.

It was amazing watching them put multiple styles together. Ozzie wasn't kidding when he said he was double-jointed. His body moved like butter: smooth and ever-flowing.

Kingston was a literal beast when he was in the zone. He said he danced hip-hop but it was more than just that. Both he and Ozzie complemented each other so well it was like they shared a brain.

Now Scarlet was something else entirely. She was tumbling and moving her body in ways that were truly unnatural. And her emotion in the piece was what grabbed your attention the most.

She was an actress for sure.

We all erupted in clapping and Ozzie bowed like a 19th-century gentleman.

"It's not fully done yet, but that's what we've got so far," Carmen said.

Carmen seemed to take over as the choreographer for anyone who needed help.

Gen and Carmen were the only one's not dancing in the first round of the competition.

Gen still had to learn Zhu's solo and Scarlet's part because she was the alternate, so she was here every day.

We wouldn't all get to dance together until the last competition for the full group dance.

The first round only required a soloist, a duet, and a small group dance.