16. A Weekend Away

Jax's POV

July 2nd

2:15 pm

Ozzie was showing me videos of new tricks he learned on his skateboard when Miss Kate entered her office. She looked around the room at all of us in surprise.

We'd all come in earlier than usual, ready to talk about the positions for the next competition.

"You guys are here early," she looked at us suspiciously. "What's going on?"

Ozzie put his phone away and Kingston stood up from her chair. "We're ready to pick out positions," he said giving me a knowing look.

I wasn't sure my day with Luna yesterday made her change her mind.

She was sitting in one of the chairs, her eyes staring at nothing in particular.

"Ok. Well, let me hear it." Miss Kate crossed her arms and leaned against her desk. She just seemed relieved that she didn't have as much to do.

"I'll do the solo this time," Scarlet raised her hand half-heartedly.

"The group dance will be Ozzie, Kingston, Gen, and Zhu," Carmen said with a smile. "I've already got ideas about what we should do."

"I'm just excited to get to perform," Gen beamed beside Scarlet.

"And our duet?" Miss Kate's eyes landed on me and I shrugged my shoulders.

"It's Scarlet and Kingston right?" Luna asked looking at both of them.

No one said anything. We all just shared knowing looks.

Those two were never going to be partners. Our plan was to make Luna think that so that she'd want to do the duet.

She was competitive and driven. I was banking on that now.

Ozzie knelt down in front of her and placed his chin on the chairs' arm. "I think there's a better duo for this and you and both know it."

She cupped his face in her hands and he smiled up at her. She ruffled his hair and the corners of her lips turned upward. "I don't know."

"Oh, come on Luna," Scarlet pressed. "What's not to know? You know it's true."

She pulled her hands away from Ozzie and turned her head to me.

After spending the past two days with her, I realized how much I liked hanging out together. I wanted to believe she felt the same.

"If Jax is on board," she let out a breath through her nose and scrunched up her shoulders, "then I guess I am."

Gen clapped her hands together and Kingston squeezed Luna's arm.

"Of course," I said failing to hide my smile. "I'm your partner, remember?"

Miss Kate stood up and walked around her desk, turning on her monitor. "This is what I like to hear. You guys enjoy your 4th of July weekend then."

Ozzie and Kingston did their handshake and laughed.

"I don't care how drunk you get, your hungover asses have to be back here on Monday morning at 8 am," Miss Kate said with a smile.

I hadn't exactly made plans this weekend and a couple of days to myself didn't sound as appealing as it normally would.

"If anyone doesn't have any plans, we could go on a road trip." I mused, standing up.