11. Safety Hazard

Luna's POV

June 28th

Competition Day

5:48 pm

I was going to shit myself.

I don't think I'd ever felt this nervous in my life.

Nerves on competition day were normal, but not at this level.

My hand curled tightly around my golden cross necklace and I prayed a small prayer underneath my breath.

Everything was going to be just fine.

I rechecked my dance bag over and over again, making sure everything was in it.

Sam was seated at one of the barstools in the kitchen, typing something on his computer.

"Luna, are you ready to go?" My mom asked walking into the kitchen.

She was dressed in a nice dress shirt and jeans. Without fail, my mom had been at every single one of my competitions.

She never missed a competition or a recital of Sam's either.

Plus she loved any reason to have a day off work.

"Yeah, I just feel like I'm forgetting something.

She placed her purse on the counter and grabbed something from the barstool. "This?" She asked holding up by team jacket.

I exhaled in relief.

"Thank you," I said taking it from her.

Pulling on the black jacket, I zipped it up over my costume.

I'd had this jacket for years. It said the team name on the background and had my name sewn onto the left breast pocket.

Looking down at the flowing skirt of my dress I took a breath.

It was a short bright red dress. The sleeves were a bit puffy and my neck was exposed.

 The sleeves were a bit puffy and my neck was exposed

I was wearing my usual converse sneakers.

Miss Kate had texted us to meet at the Skirball Center for Performing Arts at 6:30.

It was a huge theater owned by NYU that held performances and showcases throughout the year. Every year the competitions would be held in different places but I'd never performed there.

I'd only been there to watch Sam perform.

Carmen moved quickly into the kitchen had started rummaging through the fridge.

She was dressed in a short flower patterned sundress with sandals.