18. New Songs and Hard Conversations

Jax's POV

Thursday, June 8th
3:36 pm

"I don't know how I feel about the song for our next competition." I cradled the phone in between my neck and shoulder, trying to unlock the apartment door.

I could hear shuffling over the phone. "What's wrong with it?"

I unlocked the apartment door and walked into the familiar foyer entrance. I hadn't been here in over a month and it was eerie stepping into my parent's home now.

 I hadn't been here in over a month and it was eerie stepping into my parent's home now

I walked down the corridor and entered the main kitchen and living room.

If you could imagine a New York City luxury penthouse with all the amenities at your disposal, the place I grew up in would be it. I knew no one was home at this time which was why I stopped by to pick up a few things.

I walked into the kitchen and rifled through a few of the drawers. I knew my inhaler was in here somewhere.

My stupid asthma was acting up ever since I'd gotten back from the beach house and I hadn't used an inhaler in months. Maybe I should just go and get a refill.

"Hello, Jax?" Luna questioned through the phone. "You still there?"

I shut one of the drawers closed and sighed. "I just think don't it's the right fit for us. Call it my intuition."

"It's a really good song and Carmen will have our heads if we don't go along with it. She spent a lot of effort into putting the dance together already."

I pulled open the medicine cabinet overhead and pulled down a basket. There was an assortment of pills and creams inside. I pulled a yellow prescription bottle out of curiosity and read the inscription.

My Dad's name was on it and I recognized the name of the drug as high blood pressure medication.

The date on it was fairly recent. His blood pressure was going up again?

That shouldn't have been a surprise given everything that has happened in the last few weeks. Guilt gnawed at me again. I was raising his blood pressure for sure.

"Gosh, can you even hear me?" Luna asked clearly annoyed. "Every time I say something, you totally tune me out."

I dropped the bottle back into the basket. "Sorry. I know Carmen specifically chose the song and I'm not trying to be difficult. I just think we need to step up our game and Favorite What If isn't gonna get us to beat Rodale Dance Academy anytime soon. We need to think bigger."

I could hear her groaning over the phone and smiled. I knew that she knew I was right. The reason she called me in the first place was that she wanted me to validate what she was thinking but was too afraid to say to Carmen.

"Okay, you're right," She relented. "We'll let Carmen explain everything in rehearsals tomorrow and if it's not working out the way it should, we'll tell her to change the song." We only had a little less than three weeks left. There wasn't much time to be making major changes after this week. "Just listen to the song again before tomorrow."