14. A Day With You

Jax's POV

1:20 pm

We sat outside the hospital on a bench in silence, watching traffic pass us by.

Luna had spent the last 2 hours getting testing done and waiting. The doctor said he'd call tomorrow with more information and results.

I was confused as to why her brother would just leave. They were twins so I just assumed they were close.

Except he seemed to want to have nothing to do with this. Her.

And Luna acted like it was the most normal thing to be doing this alone. She was hot and cold all day.

One second she was telling me to leave so I could enjoy the rest of the day and the next she was holding on to me for dear life.

I noticed that her hands hadn't stopped shaking and wondered how long that had been going on.

Carmen had just asked me to check up on her and report back, not to spend the whole day with her. But I didn't like that look she wore in the examination room.

She seemed so defeated and we weren't even sure what the test results would say. I haven't known her closely for that long, but I knew that she wasn't the type to give up so quickly.

It was obvious that she hadn't slept or eaten much today. She had dark circles under her eyes and her brown skin didn't shine in the way it usually would.

Maybe it was just in my DNA that I felt the need to help. If there was a problem, I wanted to find a solution.

I still hadn't fully recovered from being the dutiful son of a perfectionist. My need to make things right and please in any way was ever present.

And right now, I would just help in whatever way I could.

That's what friends did for each other right?

"We should go get some food in your stomach and get you to bed," I said peering at her unfocused gaze. "You look exhausted."

She rubbed her head and stood. Her white sundress moved around her involuntarily.

"Thank you for staying with me," She said looking down at me. I could see the gratitude on her face. Her eyes lighten for a moment. "I'll deny saying this if you ever bring it up but...you've been a really good friend and I really appreciate it."

Even her threat sounded half-hearted.

I had to squint my eyes to look up at her because the sun was blinding above us.

"Anytime," I shrugged. "Come, on. Let's go. It's getting a little hot and you look like you need to rest." I stood up, towering over her and checked my watch.

In my mind, I was trying to remember the exact place I parked.

"Jax," her face tensed as if she was too exhausted to speak. "I'm alright to just go home and--"

"No," I said in a serious tone.

Her face formed into that annoyed expression that I always thought was cute.

"Look, you should go do whatever you were planning to do today. I've already taken up so much of your time and--"

"Jeez, even when you're tired, you're still stubborn as hell." I placed a hand on the small of her back and made her walk with me. I parked about 2 blocks away.

We made it a few yards until she pulled herself away from me and stalled in place. "Jax, I'm serious. Just go."

I turned back to her and the fatigue on her face was apparent. Her expression was vulnerable and almost childlike.