13. An Anchor

Luna's POV

Wednesday, June 30th

10:20 am

I rubbed my sweaty palms against the skirt of my white dress.

I could hear the beeping of a monitor coming from somewhere slowly driving me crazy.

The hospital waiting room was pretty empty. I was waiting on the Neuro-testing floor. It had a few offices that belonged to the neurologists and some rooms for check-ups.

I just needed to see my doctor and talk to him about what was going on with me.

Not that I even knew what that was.

Maybe I was overdoing things by coming here today, but I couldn't sleep last night.

I don't think I've cried that much in a long time.

I felt like such a quitter. But I didn't know what else to do.

Something was definitely wrong with me and I couldn't jeopardize the team's chances of winning by going on as if I was fine.

Jax agreeing with me somehow made me feel worse.

Did he really think my mistake was that bad that I should sit out? So far it was just the two of us who knew about it. I was pretty sure Carmen didn't notice.

She talked my ear off last night about how I couldn't just quit and let Leo win.

I didn't give a shit about Leo right now.

I also didn't tell my mom that I was going to the doctor today. I knew she'd find out eventually but I didn't want her to worry.

She worked in the same hospital I was currently in, but I knew the likelihood of seeing her was rare. She was a labor and delivery nurse and the maternity wing was all the way on the opposite side of the building.

I told Carmen to keep it to herself until I figured out what was going. The fewer people worrying about me, the better.

I hated how right Sam was when he called me a safety hazard. I needed to distance myself as best as I could before I started messing things up for everyone else.

I checked the clock on my watch again and sighed.

I had a couple of minutes until I would be called in for my appointment.

I wasn't used to going by myself. I could already feel the nervous bubbles forming in my stomach.

If it went well I'd leave after my consultation. But if something really was wrong then I'd get scanning and it would take most of my morning.

Gosh, I hated hospitals.

I was busy staring at the clock on the opposing wall when I realized that someone was standing in front of me.

"Sam?" I said hearing the shock in my own voice. He was dressed in gym shorts and a short-sleeve white shirt. I could see from his curly black hair that he'd just taken a shower.

He gave me a half-smile and sat down beside me.

My eyes were big now, scanning him up and down, making sure that I wasn't seeing things.

"Don't act so surprised," he said nonchalantly, readjusting himself in his seat.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered.

"Carmen said she'd kill me if someone didn't go with you to your secret doctor's appointment," he pulled out his phone typing away at something. "How come you didn't tell mom?"