43. Your Heart's Greatest Desire

Luna's POV

1:20 pm

August 8th

We still hadn't rehearsed as a group yet and we only had 2 and a half weeks left. Jax and I hadn't started practicing our duet and I'd only mapped out the beginning of my solo.

There was so much to get done and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it all done.

And yesterday's event only made me feel a little less in control of my life.

I got into an argument with one of my aunts. She pulled me aside and told me "I needed to start growing up" and said something about how Julietta, my cousin, had her life together and we were the same age. Julietta had two kids already and was married. We were clearly at different places in life.

She said I was using my condition as an excuse to delay my future and that dancing was a hobby, not a real job.

Let's just say my mom got involved and yelling ensued. I ended the night in my little cousin's room, getting tipsy off wine coolers and crying.

It wasn't even the fact that she was wrong for what she said but she wasn't entirely off about the whole "using my condition as an excuse". I was anxiously avoiding everything at the moment.

I was going to have a conversation with Jax at some point and I was slowly freaking out. He left after Sam interrupted us and I was supposed to see him later tonight for practice.

I was trying and failing to not panic about it.

I should've been happy, but the moment reality set in, I was ready to throw up. Jax liked me. Now what?

He was my best friend and dance, partner. We had to do this right or things could get really complicated.

I grabbed at the dress in front of me and turned it in my hands. The price was reasonable, but I wasn't sure if it would fit.

I was currently at an expensive ass boutique in Manhattan. Retail therapy was a great way to escape my problems.

"Luna!" My eyes immediately widened at the voice coming from behind me. I recognized it immediately and internally grimaced. Oh, God.

Turning around, I came face to face with Mindy. I blinked, hoping I was imagining it.

Plastering a polite smile, I said, "Mindy. It's good to see you."

She looked pretty in her white top and blue jeans. Mindy made everything look pretty.

She'd always been one of those people who had a face that was meant for modeling

Her blue eyes assessed the dress in my hand and I readjusted the bag on my shoulder, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

"I feel like I never get to see you out of competition," She was smiling and moving closer to me, holding an arm full of tops. "How have you been?"

I placed the dress back on the rack. "Oh, you know...okay I guess."