122

Kentrell Gaulden

I strapped Amira into the car seat into the backseat,and came back up front

We were cleared to take Amira back home today. It kinda scared me cause I thought we would have to spend weeks in the hospital before we could take her home.

Me and Jalanee really haven't been speaking these past couple of days. I know she's hurting,just as much as I am. Thinking you gon come to the hospital with two kids but leave with one a different type of pain. Ion even know how to fucking help her.

I looked over at her,she was looking out at the window. I rested my hand on her thigh,and drove off.

••

"Wassup Mama. This yo room." I whispered to her,who was still sleep. We went all out for this room,just for this shit to happen to us. I carefully placed her into the crib and threw a blanket over her. I'm suppose to be kissing all up on Jalanee right na. Suppose to be boasting about our kids,this shit ain't right.

Making my way to the bathroom that was closet to Amiria's room I let some water run in the tub. I walked down the steps,seeing Jalanee just staring at the dry blood that was on kitchen tiles. I stared at her,cause I simply ain't know what the fuck to do. This my first time seeing this shit. The kitchen floors was covered in blood.

"Come on." I said gently pushing her from behind,leading her out of the kitchen.

"I'm sorry. It's just-" She said. I felt myself getting angry. How the fuck I'm supposed to fix this shit? She can't even be in her own house without being scared.

"Youn' gotta apologize. Go up in the bathroom,I ran you a bath. I'll be up there in a few." I said. I turned around and was about to walk away,before she snatched my arm back,turning me around

"Don't leave me alone please." She whispered out.

"Let's go." I said as she walked in front of me. I followed her up in the bathroom and stripped down naked.

"Kentrell you don't have to do this." She said facing me.

"Do what?" I eyed her. "You want me to leave?"

"No." She mumbled. "So what you want?" I asked her.

"Nev-nevermind." She slipped off her sweatsuit,and turned around facing the mirror. She was silent,but was observing her reflection. She stared at thick bandages that were wrapped around her stomach.

I snaked my arms around her,staring at our reflection. I bent my head into the crook of her neck. Her body tensed up,and she looked at me through the mirror.

"Guh' head and get in the tub." I said stepping back from her. I kept my eyes on her,watching her get in and sit in the tub,waiting for me to follow behind her.

I got in and sat across from her. This just how it was the past couple of days between us. Small talk. I ain't even know what the fuck to say to her. It's like I wanted to say sorry but I really ain't do shit to her.

"Have you heard from your mom?" She asked,breaking the silence. I shook my head,and kept my eyes on her. Shit was weird because my mama always first to come see my kids. Then again she wasn't happy when she found out Jalanee was pregnant.

"Wait baby,Where's Amira?" She asked,jumping up,accidentally splashing water.

"She's sleep in her room. I locked the doors. Jalanee nobody in the house." I said sighing.

"Are you sure? The house is pretty big."

"I checked every room ma. Every inch of this house. It's only us three." I said. I pulled her over to me,with her back laying on my chest. "She's good."

She was being paranoid and she ain't seem like herself at all. She stared at one spot and didn't want to move either. I'm thinking we get home she'll get better but it just seemed to be getting worse.

I let out a sigh and closed my eyes,throwing my head back against the marble walls. Seeing her like this was fucking with my head. I always told her I was gon protect her and my goal was to always make her feel like she didn't have to worry about shit while she with me. But a nigga can't do shit right.

"Jalanee cmon." I said.sitting up,grabbing her loofah. She handed me the soap gel,allowing me to spread it on the loofah. "You good?" I asked her again. She nodded and I started soaping her body head to toe.

When I got done with her,she just stared at me as I washed myself up quickly. Suddenly,she walked out and ain't even wait for a nigga to finish. I heard the door close and I just continued to shower. I shut the water off,and wrapped my towel around my waist.

I walked out the bathroom and decided to go check on Amira before going to the bedroom. I twisted the knob,and pushed opened the door revealing Jalanee in a sports bra and spandex shorts,holding Amira.

"Damn she up already." I said,slipping on my shirt.

"Yeah." She said,laying her down on the diaper changing board. "I think I'm going to sleep here tonight." She said.

"Ain't no bed in here." I said.

"There's a chair and it reclines." She said looking back at me.

"Jalanee she's good."

"I just wanna be sure." She argued back.

"You need to sleep in your own bed. You been in that fucking hospital bed for days. I ain't letting you sleep in a chair."

"Kentrell-"

"I got the baby monitor in here. She good. Cmon." I said,wrapping my hand around her wrist. She looked down at her wrist and gently tried to pull back. "Kentrell please."

I didn't wanna get mad at her and start cussing her out so I'm better off letting her slide. "Alright. So I'm finna sleep in here witchu." I said.

____________________________