38~ Her senses

Loraly

*

The wonderful scent of the forest surrounding the training ground brings some sort of strange calm to me.

My soft pants slowly turn to normal breaths and I look around at the murmuring crowd of students and I smile at Ayisha and Vanellope.

Our little meeting yesterday had to be rescheduled due to Ayisha and Mitchelle's little argument. Things were a little awkward after that.

"Okay students, you are free to go in now," Miss Harper says and students start to walk in.

"Hold on, Miss Kai, you know the rules," Miss Harper stops Mitchelle. "No weapons should be brought into the Training grounds," Mitchelle look unfazed while chewing her gum but Miss Harper quirks a brow at her and Mitchelle sighs.

She takes off her ring and places it in Miss Harper's hand then sticks her fingers in her shoe and pulls out a metallic pen of some kind. I'm sure it's a gadget.

Miss Harper still stares seriously at Mitchelle and she sighs yet again.

She takes out a small knife from her bun and her hair falls on her shoulders. She takes out two contacts from her eyes and pulls out a little red, glowing device from her sport bra and hands them all to Miss Harper. Finally, she puts the him she was chewing in Miss Harper's hand.

"I hope you have fun with that," Mitchelle says and walks around Miss Harper into the building.

"I'll be watching you, Kai," Miss Harper says sternly.

"Yeah, yeah, until you find something better to do," Mitchelle replies, without looking back.

"Well what are you waiting for?" Miss Harper snaps at us who are watching them. "Get to class."

*

I huff silently and open my eyes, sighing in exasperation as the darkness of the room remains the same. My inability to see a thing is discouraging and disappointing.

'You have to be calm if you want to be able to unlock your advanced senses, especially sight,' Reina says.

'I don't know how to be calm, Reina,' I reply, sighing. 'There is so much on my mind.'

The simultaneous feeling of two hands on both by shoulders causes me to flinch and grab one of the hands. I am immediately shushed and I quickly realize who it is and let go.

I am in my Advanced Senses Training Class with Mrs. Rena. Last week, we were focused on our heightened hearing and most of us passed that easily, but we didn't expect this class. The room isn't dimly lit, it's pitch black. She made us learn in a pitched black room.

She divided us into two groups; the ones who didn't much difficulty with seeing in the dark and those who have difficulty. The way I tripped and fell when I was trying to find a seat made me fit perfectly into the latter category. Vanellope isn't because she has all her advanced senses under control.

"You are tense," Mrs. Rena says softly as she massages my neck and shoulders. "That is obviously why you cannot unlock an ability that should come naturally."

"It's not my fault I wasn't trained," I reply grumpily.

"It doesn't just have to do with you not being trained, Loraly," She says sternly. "You shifted very late which came as a surprise to most. You also hid that you shifted, meaning you didn't have the chance to shift very often without being caught. That also contributed to this."

"What do you suggest I should do?" I ask.

"I suggest you practice often, you'll get the hang eventually, but you also need  to be less tense. I think your body is still in a state of shock of being thrusted into this so suddenly," She says and I internally scoff.