33~ Her pain

Loraly

*

Walking down the hallway toward the exit, my mind goes a million miles a minute, thoughts of Nikolai being the most prominent thing troubling me.

The ARTS class was fine, a little awkward as I expected, but overall, it was fine. What he said to me at the beginning cane as a surprise, but my rejection didn't dull his excitement. He still carried on teaching me.

We didn't do much today. He taught me about the historical occurances where Twilight was used and how I could unlock the ability if I tried hard enough. I had a lot of questions lingering in my mind as I though of what Ayisha said about Nikolai but I didn't ask. I will, another day.

"Hey," Someone says, grabbing my shoulder.

I spin around and come face to face with Vanellope who is leaning on me breathlessly.

"Hey," She says again, breathing normally.

"Where's Ayisha?" I ask, looking behind her.

They usually meet me together, either her or in the bus because their last classes are close to each other.

"I thought she was with you," Vanellope says, furrowing her brows.

"She isn't," I reply, worry etched in my voice.

"We'll find her," Vanellope reassures me. "Maybe she's on the bus or she had to grab to do something in class. It's okay."

*

It's not okay.

Ayisha wasn't on the bus and she didn't get on the bus, which leaves me to think Ayisha is still at school, probably at detention. I wonder what went down with Hudson.

I turn to Vanellope and notice her fidgeting hands. I grab them, stopping us from walking.

"Don't worry," I say, trying to convince her and myself. "Maybe she's in detention."

"Why would she be there? She did nothing wrong," Vanellope counters.

"That's all I can think of at the moment, Nell," I say and sigh heavily.

"Girls!" We hear the familiar voice of Miss Caswell call.

We both turn in time to see her stop in front of us. She looks giddy as usual, her lips wearing her usually grin.

"Is everything okay?" She asks, her smile faltering as she notices the looks on out faces.

"No."

"Yes."

Vanellope and I say simultaneously then exchange glares.

"I can assure you girls that you can tell me anything, even secrets. I would never tell. Cross my heart," She says seriously.

"Our friend's missing," Vanellope blurts out.

"Name and number please," Miss Caswell says quickly.

"Ayisha Klein. 55," I reply.

"Oh!" Miss Caswell exclaims and laughs. "She's fine," She waves it off. "She's in her room."

"Why?" Vanellope and I ask.

"It is procedure," Miss Caswell says and checks her watch. "I have to go now."

"Wait. Procedure for what?" Vanellope asks loudly but Miss Caswell is already gone.

We both sigh and head for Ayisha room. I knock the door, but here no response. I try again, but it's the same thing.

"Ayisha," Vanellope calls worriedly. "Are you in there?"