8 • Possible allies

Commander Link is evil. Noted.

I rest my back on my door after shutting it and release a heavy sigh. Shivers crawl down my spine and I rest my head in my hands. The thought of what happened mere minutes earlier is leaving me in shock. He whipped those kids and made them count. I will never look at Fifty Shades of Grey the same way again. Now I get what Mom meant when she said if I messed up, I would be dealt with accordingly.

My eyes zero in on items on my bed and without taking my eyes off them, I walk to my bed and pick them up. There are multiple objects. One of them is the schedule Commander Link told me about. My allowance is also here and there is also a map of Rebellion and more information which I will read. Eventually.

Ugh
You're a monster
I can swallow a bottle of alcohol and I'll feel like Godzilla
Better hit the deck like a card dealer

I love that song. Especially the end. It's one of my favourites - wait a second. That's my ringtone!

I scramble toward my bag and pull out my tampon box before emptying it and pulling out my phone with a sigh. It stopped ringing.

How could I have forgotten to put the phone on silent? I'm so stupid.

My phone rings again and Cecil's picture pops up on the screen and I quickly answer it.

"Hey Ma," I throw myself on the bed.

"Loraly, where have you been?!" She screams and I pull the phone away from my ear. At least I know she's worried. "Do you know how worried I have been the past few days because you haven't called or visited and you have been ignoring all my calls? I thought something happened to you. I thought- I thought..."

"Ma, I'm fine. See, still alive and breathing," I close my eyes with a smile.

"No, I don't see. We are talking over a phone," I imagine the scowl on her face which makes me chuckle. "I want you to come over right now. We have a lot to talk about."

I chuckle nervously. "That's going to be a problem considering I'm not home."

"Then where are you?" Her tone shifts toward irritated again.

"A boarding school for training young wolves," I use my mother's words.

A second of silence. Another one. Another-

"What?!" Cecil screeches and I move the phone away from my ear again before I go deaf.

"What the hell is going on?!" She asks angrily.

I sigh tiredly. "My mother drugged and dragged me to a boarding school. She knew I was a wolf from the beginning and was just waiting for the right moment to bring me here. Now, I am going to be tamed, taught how to be disgusted by my kind and get rejected by my mate because that' just how Rebels work."

At the end of my rant, I remain silent and Cecil is silent as she takes in all the information.

"R-rebels?" Her voice comes out small and almost unrecognizable.

Something is wrong. Cecil doesn't stutter. Cecil never stutters.

"Ma, what's wrong?"

"That's not possible. I thought they were all gone for good. We ended their existence. Rebels don't exist. Rebels can't exist," Cecil replies in one breath.

"Ma, please calm down. Breathe," I say and she takes a deep breath. "What war are you talking about?"

She sniffles. "The war that killed my mate." Well shit.