64. all is said and done

BELLE ÂME

epilogue

all is said and done

[ Paris, France, August 14th, 1834 ]

_____________________

  It is said that stories never come to an end, not really. That is because, it does not matter if our heroes have conquered their latests demons, their lives will carry on. And even when these lives come to an end, the lives that our heroes have touched and given light to will carry their story with them, passing it on.

  So no, a story never really ends. And some might even argue that the term happily ever after is one that sets an unrealistic standard for people. Because, how can someone truly live happily ever after? 

  The world is a place were things come and go unexpectedly, causing feeling that go beyond simple happiness. That is why, although this story is coming to an end, the lives of its characters will carry on, with cheerfulness, sorrow and anger. For that is how life works.

  However, as our heroine Annette Beaufort Enjolras stood in front of the mirror of her bedroom, she was certain that there was no one as happy as she was. 

  Her life had not gone at all like she expected it to go when she had been a starry eyed child, filled with hopes and dreams. As she grew, the girl started realizing that the world in front of her was not the same as the world in the storybooks she so loved, the ones that ended with a happily ever after.

  She had struggled. The loss of her parents causing a tear in her heart that she had not been able to fully mend. Nonetheless, she carried on growing, inspiring and uplifting those that she could. 

  Her strength was something admirable. Throughout the chapters of her life that have already been written, she has gone through more heartbreak and loss than any person should ever have to go through.

  Between losing her brother and seeing most of her friends dead, the girl had experienced her fair share of sorrow. And then there were the smaller things, the slight pain that she would feel in her chest at the start of her relationship with Enjolras, the worry she felt over her friends, the nights spent being awakened by nightmares.

  Nonetheless, she had prevailed. Holding her head up high and walking along life with the same air of grace and kindness that her parents had inspired on her. 

  And now, it really did seem that her life had finally calmed down. Of course, Annette still expected that there would be bumps in the road, for life had taught her that those were to be expected.