63. valley of the night

BELLE ÂME

vol.5

63. valley of the night

[ Paris, France, February 16th, 1833 ]

________________________

  "Did you feel this way when you got married?"

  "What way?" Annette inquired, lifting her eyes from the mirror and turning to Cosette.

  "I don't really know-" the blond girl frowned lightly "I just, I feel like- no I know that this is right"

  "But?"

  "But- I just can't help but think of everything that could go wrong" Cosette replied quietly "and with my father not being here..."

  Annette sighed lightly, turning to glance over at Nicolette who was also getting herself ready. Both girls did not really know what to say to Cosette, and Annette knew better than anyone that not having certain family members at ones wedding was a terrible feeling.

  Cosette's father had disappeared without a word, having asked Marius to give her the news. Annette had her suspicions after hearing the news, having already known something was odd about that man when she saw him running from Inspector Javert.

  She had watched as Marius seemed to be stuck in his own head after telling Cosette the news and Annette wondered what the man had told her. However, she never told anyone of her suspicions, deciding that she was probably overthinking things.

  "I know you wish he could be here, trust me- I understand-" Annette placed her hands on Cosette's shoulder "but we're all here for you."

  "What did you feel before you married Enjolras?" the girl asked, looking up at Annette curiously.

  "I felt nervous, my stomach was all knotted and I was fidgeting a lot when we were heading to the church-" she began answering, a smile making its way onto her face at the memory "but when I walked into that church and saw him standing there and waiting for me- I don't know, everything just fell into place."

  Cosette smiled up at Annette, feeling slightly better about her wedding jitters. 

  The girls carried on getting ready, making sure that their hair and makeup was perfect. Both Annette and Nicolette did their best to calm the bride down, trying to ensure that she was as tension free as possible.

  Once they were ready, they headed over to the church, craking jokes with Cosette and trying to get her mind off the fact that her father was nowhere to be found.