48. let others rise

BELLE ÂME

vol.4

48. let others rise

[ Paris, France, June 6th, 1832 ]

______________________

Annette turned back to her friend, who was now holding a riffle in her hands with her eyebrows furrowed. She smiled brightly at Nicolette and took her hand, leading her out of the apartment and shutting the door behind them as they strode out of the building.

  "Annette!" the blond exclaimed as she pulled Annette into and alley and looked at her "what on earth are we doing?"

  "We are going back for them Nicolette" the brunette replied firmly "I though about it, and they cannot get rid of us that easily, I may not be able to save them all, but I am not letting Enjolras die, and you should not let Grantaire die. Now, are you coming or not?"

  "I-" Nicolette though it over and looked down at the riffle before she made up her mind at looked back to Annette "of course I am"

  Annette smiled brightly at her friend and swiftly started walking through the back streets as she tried not be be seen. As she looked at the sun that had risen over the sky, she just hoped that they would make it on time.

______________________

  Enjolras walked back to the barricade quietly as his mind seemed blank for a moment. He could not believe that the rebellion had failed, and now he had to go to his friends and tell them that they should either give up and go home or stay there to die with him.

  I am never going to see her again he though to himself, running his hands over his hair as he regretted not having kissed her before she walked away from him. He beat himself up over the fact that he was probably going to make her sob once she found out what happened to him, at least she would be safe.

  Coming back over the barricade, he watched as a whistle rang through the air at his presence and all his friends quickly made their way towards him, unaware of the terrible news that he was bringing with him. 

  "Enjolras," Marius spoke as he walked towards him "the rain has damaged the gunpowder, we're low on ammunition"

  "We're the only barricade left" Enjolras exhaled as he finished climbing back into the barricade.

  "What?" Marius asked him, his brows furrowing and all the other men looking over to them.

  "We're the only ones left" the leader said once more as he glanced around at everyone with a defeated look in his eyes. He watched as silence rang over the street as everyone stopped to look at him.