15. what a masquerade

BELLE ÂME

vol.2

15. what a masquerade

[ Paris, France, December 31st 1831 - January 1st 1832 ]

________________________

LATER THAT EVENING, Annette had managed to calm herself down. With her mind still reeling slightly, she went back to her bedroom to ready herself for Nicolette's New Year's Eve party, which to Annette's surprise turned out to be a masquerade ball.

Walking into her room she was met with one of the maids you had worked at the house ever since Annette was little, an elderly lady named Madam Abras, the woman had laid down a gorgeous golden dress for Annette to wear, which seemed to glow under the candlelight that illuminated Annette's bedroom, next to the dress, there was a pair of white heels and a golden mask that would cover Annette's eyes.

The brunette was incredibly grateful that this ball would be a masquerade, as it meant that her slightly puffy eyes would not be visible. After clearing that the outfit was to her liking, Madam Abras quickly started working on Annette's hair, slightly curling the lower part of her hair and proceeding to tie the front part together at the back of her head, framing the girl's face nicely.

They then proceeded to work on Annette's makeup and the corset, which the girl had always dreaded as it felt like she could barely breathe, something that mind you Annette quite enjoyed doing.

As Madam Abras helped Annette get ready, they both barely spoke a word to each other, as Madam knew that this was the anniversary of Monsieur Beaufort's death, she tried not to talk too much to the young girl, as she knew just how terrible Annette must be feeling and she thought it was quite unfair that the girl was forced to go out a celebrate a day such as this.

Nonetheless, three hours later, after a shower, hair, makeup, and outfit, Annette was finally ready for the ball, and she looked absolutely beautiful, despite the saddened demeanor that the girl was carrying around with her, the dress and makeup had helped her cheer up a bit since when she looked in the mirror, she no longer looked like the broken and unstable girl that was looking into that very mirror mere hours ago.

Heading out of her room she walked down the stairs to see that her family had already finished getting ready, Alexandre and Monsieur Beaufort wearing their fanciest suits while Celia looked absolutely stunning with her hair up and in a white dress with black details.

As they headed out and climbed aboard the carriage that would take them to Nicolette's house, Annette could only hope that this night would someone help her feel a bit better and lift her spirits, after all, Alexandre was right, their parents would not want them to be sad.