40. red and black

BELLE ÂME

vol.4

40. red and black 

[ Paris, France, June 4th, 1832 ]

________________________

  The streets of Paris were growing emptier as Enjolras and Annette stood there together, just holding each other for a moment, both of them fearing the same things. After a few more moments, they both pulled away from each other and smiled lightly.

  "We should probably go" Annette whispered, to which Enjolras nodded silently, placing his hand on her back and leading her in the direction of the Musain.

  As they were walking Annette looked to the corner of her eye to find that Marius and Eponine were both walking out of a building together, with Eponine trailing behind him with a soft smile, Annette looked at the scene with focused eyes, her mind reeling as she tried to figure out what the relationship between those two was, suddenly, Annette let out a gasp of realization. Eponine was in love with Marius.

  Annette thought of how obvious it was, with the girl asking about him a few months back, looking so worried when Marius's grandfather was scolding him and the way she was looking at him now, it was clear to anyone, except Marius apparently. By now, Annette could tell what a look of love should be, and she was sure that Eponine held that look in her eyes as she stood next to the Pontmercy boy, staring at him as if he was the only person in the world despite all the excitement around her, with everyone else running around, working, chatting and discussing with each other, Eponine seemed to only have eyes for Marius.

  The girl watched as Marius seemed to be staring at something with a lovesick look, making Annette furrow her eyebrows and look over to see a beautiful blond haired girl, with an older man, who Annette guessed was the girls father, and the girl seemed to be staring right back at Marius, the look in her eyes matching her own.

  Annette turned to the side to see if Enjolras was seeing the same thing that she was, however she found that he was in fact, gone. The girl simply shrugged it off, certain that he was already back at the Musain and working away as always.

  When she turned back to the scene before her, she saw a few men holding onto the blond girls father as he struggled against their grip. All the men had colorful and slightly tattered clothing, making Annette realize that they were clearly from this side of Paris, and as she looked closer, she recognized a few faces.

  "It's the police disappear, run for it, it's Javert!" Annette was quickly forced to snap out of her thoughts as she heard Eponine voice ringing out from across the streets. Confused, Annette turned to find that there were now a few policemen walking the streets, everyone else around them seemed frozen in space, so before she ran, Annette calmed herself and stood her ground, trying not to draw any attention.