49. after the dust settles

BELLE ÂME

vol.5

49. after the dust settles

[ Paris, France, June 6th, 1832 ]

______________________

  After what seemed like ages, help finally came. By then, Enjolras had already lost consciousness and Annette had been sobbing, sure that he was gone and there was no way to get him back. To here surprise, Grantaire and Nicolette had emerged into the room with a shaky Madam Houcheloupe trailing behind them, the woman had made quick work of using some fabrics to contain Enjolras's bleeding and they had all worked together to take him somewhere safe.

  Much pondering later, they had ultimately decided that taking him to Annettes house would be the best option, although the girl strongly protested at first in fears of facing her aunt and having to explain, she caved when they convinced her that he could get the best medical care with the help of her aunt.

  When they arrived at the front of the house, Madam Houcheloupe and Annette dragging Enjolras and Nicolette trying her best to support Grantaire who was having trouble walking with a bullet lodged in his leg, they were surprised when the doors opened and Aunt Chantal hurriedly walked out, her hands carrying the train of her dress as she tried not to trip.

  "Annette!" the woman exclaimed, ignoring everyone else and hugging the girl tightly "were have you been!"

  "I'll explain everything Aunt Chantal" Annette replied "but right now, you have to help us, these two men are injured and one of them has lost consciousness, it would be of urgent matter that you call a doctor to come and help them"

  "What-" the woman looked down at the ground to see a pale looking Enjolras, his eyes closed and his shirt bloodied, gasping lightly, she looked towards the limping Grantaire who shot her an awkward smile and a wave "alright, I'll help, but you better explain this in full detail Annette, I mean it"

  "I will" the girl laughed lightly and crouched back to pick up Enjolras by the arm, starting to drag him into the house "where do I put him?"

  "Take him to the spare bedroom at the end of the hall" her aunt shouted at her before Turing back to Grantaire "as for you, we better get you to sit down whilst we wait for a doctor"

  Once they had successfully placed Enjolras in the bed, Aunt Chantal made quick work to call a doctor that lived nearby. The man had hurried to the house and he had locked himself into the room where Enjolras was after he fixed Grantaire leg, promising that he would try his best to help the leader.

  As Annette waited outside the doors of the room, still in her dirty clothes, her feet anxiously tapping against the floor, she watched as her aunt began approaching her slowly.