47. no good deed

BELLE ÂME

vol.4

47. no good deed

[ Paris, France, June 5th - 6th, 1832 ]

________________________

When both girls arrived at the apartment, Annette lifted her shaky hand and opened the door to be faced with tiny Patria, who was standing before the door with her green eyes opened wide. Annette gestured for her friend to come in and when she did, the brunette quickly shut the door and moved to pick up the little kitten who was meowing softly.

"He's not coming Patria" Annette whispered, watching as the cat moved her head from side to side slightly "I miss him as well"

"Enjolras has a cat?" she heard from across the room, turning around, she was faced with a tired looking Nicolette, who was smirking lightly at her.

"Actually, we both do" Annette explained quietly "you see, I found her on the streets and after some persuading, Enjolras agreed to take her in"

"Huh" her friend chuckled lightly "that's cute, I would have never guessed that he would be one to take in a cat"

"Me neither" the brunette smiled sadly "but he did, for me, and now I suspect he's grown quite fond of her"

"Whats her name?" Nicolette asked curiously, watching as Annette smiled lightly.

"Enjolras named her Patria" she replied with a soft laugh.

"Of course he did" the blond shook her head with a grin "don't even know why I asked"

Silence once more washed the small apartment as Annette gently set Patria down and watched as the cat laid herself down besides Enjolras's empty desk. Nicolette looked over at her friend to see that there were tears beginning to form in her eyes. The blond knew that Annette was having a tough time, of course, they all were, but the girl lost her friend and brother in the same night, and now, she might lose Enjolras.

Nicolette slowly stood up from where she had sat herself down and walked over to Annette, moving her arms around the shaking girl and squeezing her tightly. When Annette felt her friend hugging her, she slowly moved to reciprocate the gesture and closed her eyes for a moment, her worries tormenting her as she moved around in a daze, unable to break free from the shock of everything that had happened in the past twenty four hours.

"I-" she broke free from her friends hold and looked at her softly "I'll be right back, I just- need some time alone if thats alright"

"Of course Annette" Nicolette sighed lightly and stepped away from the girl "but if you need anything, I'm right here"