46. to days gone by

BELLE ÂME

vol.4

46. to days gone by

[ Paris, France, June 5th, 1832 ]

________________________

Numbness, thats all Annette felt as she kept her eyes closed and her face buried in Enjolras's neck. It had been about twenty minutes since her brother had passed, and in that time, the girl had sat there, only moving once as she flinched lightly at the sound of a gunshot ringing out, but Enjolras had quickly assured her that it was only the old man taking care of the Inspector, to which she nodded and went back to mourning.

She could tell that he was trying his best to make her feel better, but in that moment, she just couldn't, loosing her brother was one of the things that the girl most feared and now that it come to be, she did not know what to do.

She could feel Enjolras moving his hand back and forth across her back as he held her tight, and she was sure that some of her other friends were looking at her with pitiful looks. But Annette soon realized that she did not want pity, she wanted her brother back, and that was not going to happen, so what now?

As Enjolras held onto the girl, he slowly glanced down at her to see that her eyes no longer had any tears in them, bringing him slight relief. He kept racking his brain for a way to make her feel better, it killed him to see her in such pain, and in a way, he felt like that pain was his fault. After all, he had been the one to welcome her brother into this whole mess, and worst of all, he had promised Annette that he would keep her brother safe, and now, he broke that promise.

And it was all because he was too distracted with the man that had come in through the barricades to actually realize that Annette was in danger. Enjolras closed his eyes and sighed for a moment as he thought of how it should have been him, he should have been the one to save her, and then he would have kept his promise of saving Alexandre.

And even if Enjolras did not care for the girl, he still would have cared for her brother, because Alexandre was one of the first men to come forwards and join him in the idea of rebelling. Alexandre had been a great friend to him, always focused and helpful and most of all, the boy was always smiling. It really was, a terrible loss.

To make matters worse, only one hour before her brother, Annette had witnessed her friend Eponine die. Despite the fact that Enjolras did not personally know the girl, seeing as he had only seen her around a few times, he could tell how upset Annette had gotten, and to lose two important people in a matter of hours, that was more than a person could bear.

The leader in red made eye contact with Grantaire, who was sat near the barricade, leaning on it, with a silent Nicolette next to him. Grantaire raised his eyebrows and motioned over to Annette with his head, silently asking if the girl was okay, and his heart ached when Enjolras simply shook his head with a frown and turned back to the brunette girl in his lap.