10. le réveillon de noël

BELLE ÂME

vol. 2

10. le réveillon de noël

[ Paris, France, December 24th, 1831 ]

_________________________

Snow was falling softly from the sky as the sun was shining down, painting shadows on the floor and causing the fallen snow to shimmer with an enticing glow.

Annette had awoken a few minutes ago and had spent those last minutes staring up at her bedroom wall.

She hated the way she was feeling, numb and useless. After being told that she could not do or be interested in certain things just because she was a woman her whole life, she had grown used to it and usually just brushed it off with a simple eye-roll. 

However being told that she had to leave a building, was a distraction and then having her own brother whom she had grown up and shared everything with, tell her that he had no choice but to lie to her, all because she was deemed as weak for being a woman, she felt completely shattered.

She had planned to spend her whole day in bed sulking in her own misery, but her plans were quickly interrupted as her second cousin nearly broke down the door and ran towards her.

"Annette! What in gods names are you still doing in bed? We need to go dress shopping, now" spoke the red haired girl with a glimmer of frustration in her eyes.

dress shopping? Why can't I have one day in peace though Annette, rolling her eyes.

"Well alright calm down" spoke Annette whilst getting out of bed and grabbing an outfit to wear, she decided on a light green dress that was slightly pulled off the shoulders and had long sleeves.

"But tell me Celia, why exactly must we go dress shopping now" spoke the girl with an annoyed tone "I was planning on staying locked up here the whole day and now you tell me that we urgently have to go into town in this weather and buy dresses?"

"Oh god Annette, have you hit your head?" asked Celia.

Well now that you mention it yes, yes I did thought Annette to herself whilst she turned back to her cousin, now fully dressed and raised her eyebrows, begging for her question to be answered.

"We have a ball tonight" spoke Celia slowly

"A ball" repeated Annette "And what on earth for?"

"Well, only Christmas Eve Annette, but if you want to spend your holiday locked up in your room be my guest" spoke Celia while walking out of the room.

If Annette hadn't felt like a proper idiot before, she sure did now, as a child Christmas used to be her favorite day of the year, waking up all exited to see what gifts she had gotten and spending the morning opening presents and playing with toys along with her parents and brother.