31. evermore

BELLE ÂME

vol.3

31. evermore

[ Paris, France, May 1st, 1832 ]

_________________________

The next morning, Enjolras was the first to arrive at the Musain, after Annette had left him that night, he threw himself into the revolution in a desperate attempt to distract himself from the girl that he had let slip through his fingers once more, and this time, he was sure that he would not get a another chance.

But despite how hard he was trying to avoid thinking of her, his thoughts always seemed to go back to her, further hurting his heart as memories of the girl ran through his head. He spent nights awake wondering why she had suddenly ended things, wondering if she simply did not care for him anymore, which in turn made him think of what he could have done better.

When he arrived at the Musain, he walked upstairs and towards his chair, his eyebrows furrowing as he saw that a folded paper had been placed on top of it, a paper that had his name written on it. Enjolras picked the paper up in his hands, looking at the handwriting before he quickly realized who it belonged to, it was Annettes handwriting, his Annette. He quickly sat himself down and opened the paper to find that it was a long letter, taking a deep breath, his hands shaking slightly, his eyes began racking over the page as he read what she had written to him.

Dear Enjolras,

I'm sure that you are angry at me, or at least confused, and you have every right to be, I left you, and for that, I will always be sorry. But I want you to know that it's not your fault, and I felt that you deserve to know why I left.

A while back, I wrote to my Aunt Chantal in Montpellier, the woman that I used to live with, asking her how she was, and when she replied, she informed my that my mothers other sister, a married woman named Monique, was interested in taking me to live with her and her family in Lyon. Naturally, this worried me, seeing as my Aunt Monique has always been very traditional and strict, making me fear that she would eventually take my away and force me to marry. However, after a while, nothing else happened so I thought that she had given up, clearly, I though wrong.

My cousin and her father are leaving my house tonight and returning to Bordeaux, meaning that it will be just me and Alexandre, who has received word that Aunt Monique is coming to "visit"  us here in Paris, when I found out, I quickly came to the conclusion that she was coming to take me away, and that is why I left you, because I knew that we only had another week together and I did not want to make it even worse when I eventually left, which will most likely be tomorrow, May 1st.