20. le saint-valentin

BELLE ÂME

vol.2

20. le saint-valentin

[ Paris, France, February 14th, 1832 ]

________________________

The cafe Musain was filled with conversation and laughter on the afternoon of February 14th, it was valentine's day, however, the lovely bunch at the Musain, which mostly consisted of young men, ignored the love-filled holiday as Enjolras ranted passionately about France and injustice.

Annette however, who had always loved the idea of love, just not so much the vulnerability that came with it, was sitting in the corner of the room, reading a poetry book, the main focus of the poems? Love.

Alexandre had woken her up early that morning to go to the Musain, apparently, Celia and Monsieur Hubert had some errands to run and Alexandre did not want to leave his sister by herself, even though she repeatedly told him that she had invited Nicolette over anyways.

"I think that he's just scared that you have a suitor coming over" Nicolette had teased when Annette told her of their changed plans.

Because Annette had repeatedly told her brother how rude it would be to leave her friend by herself when they had made previous plans with each other, Alexandre begrudgingly allowed her to bring Nicolette to the meeting, however, he did tell his sister time and time again that if Enjolras complained, she would have to fix it, not him. However, when they walked in, Enjolras was so distracted staring at Annette, that by the time he realized she had brought her friend, it was too late, meaning Nicolette was allowed to stay.

As both girls sat together reading the poetry book and fawning over the romantic and passion-filled words written down in it, Annette felt a small hand tapping on her shoulder, she looked up to be met with Gavroche, who held two red roses in his hand.

"Mademoiselle Annette" he spoke whilst looking at Annette before he turned his head to Nicolette "mademoiselle Nicolette"

"Yes Gav?" asked Annette with a small smile gracing her features, whilst Nicolette nodded to the boy with a grin, encouraging him to keep talking.

"I just wanted to give you girls these" explained Gavroche whilst he pushed the two roses towards their faces "Courf said that no lady should be unappreciated on valentines day, and I saw the both of you sitting by yourselves, and I thought that if no one else was goin' to be a gentleman, I had to step up"

Both girls wore a proud and grateful grin on their faces as they reached to grab the rose that Gavroche had offered to each of them before Annette hugged the boy and ruffled his hair.

"Thank you so much Gav!" exclaimed Annette

"Yeah, at least one man here is a gentleman" continued Nicolette, making Gavroche grin proudly after being referred to as a man, before he bowed jokingly to the girls and walked away, giving all the other men in the room a smug look before he sat himself down besides Courfeyrac who patted him on the back with a "well-done mate."