35. auntie knows best

BELLE ÂME

vol.3

35. auntie knows best

[ Lyon, France, May 17th, 1832 ]

_________________________

A few days had passed since Annette had gone into town with her little cousin, her Aunt Monique was running around the house, trying to get everything ready for a dinner party that was to take place that night.

Annette currently found herself in the sitting room of the house, reading a book as she looked at the woman ordering everything around, Moniques face was almost as red as her hair as she yelled at one of the servants because they had gotten the seating arrangement "appallingly wrong," the brunette simply rolled her eyes as she looked at her aunt.

She was interrupted from her judging when she heard someone sitting themselves in the chair next to her, she turned her head to be faced with Monsieur Archambeau, who was looking at her with a smirk.

"Did you want something" Annette asked, eyebrows raised

"No, no I was just enjoying watching my wife lose her head over place settings" he replied with a grin "she always gets terribly irritable when planning these things"

"Is she not always irritable?" she muttered to herself as she turned to look at the woman who was still terrorizing some poor servant.

"Well-" he hesitated, looking at Annettes aunt to make sure that she was not within hearing range before he turned back to Annette "yes she is, but tell me Annette, we have not exactly had any time to talk yet, how have you been feeling? With moving in here and all"

"Honest answer?" she asked the man, to which he nodded "I despise it, you see, I have no interest in staying here, I would much rather be back in Paris, but your wife simply won't allow it"

"Then it sounds like my wife has put you in quite a situation here" he spoke lowly "one might say its unfair right? But then again Annette, life is not very fair"

"Yes" Annette sighed "I suppose that it is"

_________________________

Later that day, Annette was sitting in her room when she heard a knock at her door, she told the person to come in and she was faced with her aunt, who was looking at her with a dress in her hands.

"I brought this for you Annette" her aunt spoke lowly "I want you to wear it tonight"

"I though that I wasn't going to attend?"

"What gave you that idea Annette?" the woman asked as she placed the dress on Annettes bed "of course you have to go, after all, it is for you"

At this Annette looked at her aunt with wide eyes, wondering what the woman could possibly mean when she said this.