Part 59: Lily's Birthday

Honey crept across the room to the record player on the shared table near the door. Her footsteps were silent, and she flipped through the records quietly until she found the one she wanted.

"Ooh
You can dance
You can jive
Having the time of your life
Ooh, see that girl
Watch that scene
Digging the dancing queen
Friday night and the lights are low
Looking out for a place to go
Where they play the right music
Getting in the swing
You come to look for a king
Anybody could be that guy
Night is young and the music's high
With a bit of rock music
Everything is fine
You're in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance
You are the dancing queen
Young and sweet
Only seventeen
Dancing queen
Feel the beat from the tambourine, oh yeah
You can dance
You can jive
Having the time of your life
Ooh, see that girl
Watch that scene
Digging the dancing queen
You're a teaser, you turn 'em on
Leave 'em burning and then you're gone
Looking out for another
Anyone will do
You're in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance
You are the dancing queen
Young and sweet
Only seventeen
Dancing queen
Feel the beat from the tambourine, oh yeah
You can dance
You can jive
Having the time of your life
Ooh, see that girl
Watch that scene
Digging the dancing queen
Digging the dancing queen," The record played.

"Dancing Queen is my favourite," Lily smiled as she stretched.

"That's what I thought. I'm glad you love it! Happy birthday, Flower," Honey hugged her.

Sometime during the night, Marlene had disappeared. Honey had spent a few minutes looking for her but gave up. If Marlene didn't want to be found, she wouldn't be.

"James and I baked you a cake. You have to eat it for breakfast," Honey told her, leading her to the closet. "I also made sure that you will be comfortable in the spring weather during the quidditch cup, should you care to come and watch."

"I will always come watch," Lily smiled, picking up the clothing on the chair that was left out for her. "Thanks, Pup."

Honey left the closet, adjusting her quidditch robes. A few minutes later, Lily came out dressed comfortably in leggings, a flannel shirt, and a black long-sleeve underneath.

"I thought I'd leave the shoe choice to you, considering I don't know what's more comfortable for you," Honey said, watching the ginger go to her trunk.

Lily looked at a few options but chose a pair of hiking boots in the end.

"Thanks, Pup," Lily said as she tugged them on.

"Anything for our birthday girl," Honey chuckled as they walked down to the common room where everyone else was waiting.

"Happy birthday, love," James drew her in for a deep kiss.

"Thank you," Lily smiled as she pulled away.

"I'm not gonna kiss you," Remus pulled her into a hug. "But I'm gonna wish you a happy birthday."

Lily laughed. "Thanks, Rem."

Sirius and Peter repeated the greetings, and the group sat down at one of the tables.

"Where's Marls?" Sirius asked, watching James light the candles.

"Dunno. Wait, there she is!" Remus pointed past Honey's shoulder to the girls' stairs.

Lily and Honey whipped their heads to find her holding a wrapped gift in her arms. She was smiling. The only surprising part of this was that both Dorcas and Mary followed her. Smiling.

"It's so nice to see you all together again!" Lily squealed, hugging them all at once.

"I'm glad we can all be friends," Dorcas grinned.