Part 47: Quidditch

"Today, you will notice that Slytherin seeker, Regulus Black, has died. He will be sorely missed by his friends and family. The new seeker is Vicky Shane," The announcer said. "Slytherin team are all in understanding that this game will be hard for the Gryffindor players, Honey Goldman, Sirius Black and James Potter. However, we know that nothing will change the extreme rivalry between these highly competitive houses."

Honey shuffled her feet in the changing room. She and Sirius held hands, waiting to be released onto the pitch. The Slytherin crowd set up a cheer as their players were released onto the field. A wave of nausea hit Honey. She realized that she had never played quidditch without Regulus watching or playing with her.

Sirius felt Honey's concern. He turned to face her, grabbing her face gently. Sirius guided her lips to his, making the whole team groan and smile or sigh happily. When they pulled apart, their names were being called.

They flew around the pitch, putting fake smiles on for the audience. James, being the team captain, led the team. His grin was as wide as ever, but it seemed hollow. Forced. When the team landed, Madam Hooch brought the captains together, forcing them to shake hands. Suddenly, the balls were released, and Honey's job started.

"Goldman was swung her bat, viciously hitting a bludger at Vicky Shane. It has knocked the girl off her broom! She's down!" Clark Jackson announced. "Madam Hooch has called for a pause in the play, but no foul!"

"Honey, fly out of the sun!" James called in passing.

"Fly higher," She shouted back.

"No shit, Sherlock," James called back.

Honey smiled to herself as she flew into the shade. When bludgers neared the players on her team, Honey made it so that the bludgers knocked a Slytherin off their broom. More often than not, they fell with a satisfactory thump and a blow of the whistle.

"Honey Goldman has officially unseated every player on the Slytherin team! And this match has only been going on for fifteen minutes! I'd hate to get on her bad side..." Clark called.

"Mr. Jackson! Focus on the game, not the players!" McGonagall scolded.

"Yes, ma'am, sorry, ma'am," Clark murmured with a grin.

When the whistle blew again and all players were in the air, Honey hit the bludgers with more force. She broke a finger, then a toe gave a mild concussion, but nothing that wasn't immediately fixed by Madam Pomfrey. At one point, she felt bad for hurting them but realized that quidditch wasn't exactly a peaceful game.

"It's Potter with the snitch! Gryffindor wins! 300 to 120!" Clark Jackson yelled, standing excitedly. "Next match is for the quidditch cup, and Hufflepuff best up their game!"

Honey landed next to her teammates with a sad smile. She and Sirius found their way together, and before long were crying. They were having a hard time with Regulus's death, and playing without him made something click. They finally realized that he was truly gone.

So, with puffy, red faces, the couple changed into their normal clothes and went up to the party in their common room. The rest of their team wasn't far behind with a crowd of fans hanging off their arms.

"Honey, you did very well! I'm so proud of you!" Lily said, dashing up beside the blonde girl.

"Thanks," Honey croaked, indulging in their embrace.

"Hey! You know what the letter said! He wants you to continue living! Follow his advice, okay? You know he's right," Lily said, wiping away Honey's tears with her hand.

"I know, it's just... I miss him. Sirius misses him. And what is grief if not love preserving?" Honey said slowly, calming herself to the point where she could control her breathing.