Part 26: Summer Break

The first week of summer came with great fun, lots of swimming and even more ice cream. The three had stuck together like glue. James's parents had been surprised at the amount of time they spent outside swimming, running, flying, even just sitting there talking or in silence.

"No! Pineapples on pizza are so perfect! How can you hate on them?!" Honey cried, a smile on her face as she shoved the muggle food in her mouth.

"It's just so weird!" Sirius said, picking off the little yellow pieces, setting them on the box next to her. "It feels unnatural! It tastes unnatural!"

"Exactly! It's fruit on cheese on tomato sauce on bread! How is that normal?!" James agreed, picking off the little pieces of fruit.

"I realize that it sounds odd, but you should try it!" Honey admitted.

When Sirius opened his mouth to protest, Honey shoved a bit of her pizza in his mouth. He tried to spit it out, but she put her hand over his mouth, making it impossible for him. He swallowed quickly and removed her hand.

"Okay, that was actually alright," Sirius said.

"See? James, will you just try a little bit? Please, for me?" Honey begged.

"I will not!" Jams said valiantly, jumping off the wooden picnic table.

"JAMES POTTER, TRY IT ALREADY!" His mother shouted from the garden.

"YES, MUM!" James called back, putting one of the little pieces of pineapple on the end of his slice.

He took the smallest bite he could and shuddered. He spat it back out, making the other two laugh.

"Pass me some water please," James said, wiping his tongue vigorously on a napkin.

Honey handed him the bottle that was laying on the table. He poured it all in his mouth, dripping some down his chin and onto his grey shirt. The other two watched him and laughed until their ribs hurt.

"James, d'you want some ice cream? It'll taste away," Honey offered, handing him a cone.

"Thankth," James said through the thick creamy treat.

Honey grinned, taking a sip of her water. The trio sat out until the stars began to shine, and the sun completely vanished below the horizon. The sky was a deep blue, speckled with glowing yellow stars. The quarter moon hung in the sky like a pale yellow beacon.

"Alright, kids, it's time to come in," Mr. Potter said, putting a hand on James's shoulder.

"We'll be in in a minute," James said. "We'll just clean up."

"Alright," Mr. Potter said, walking away.

Honey picked up the empty boxes and plates, James folded the tablecloth and Sirius took the empty water bottles. The teenagers walked into the bright house and properly disposed of their trash. Honey went into her room and changed into something a little more comfortable than her jean shorts and swimsuit top.

She knocked at the boys' door and waited until Sirius answered, drying his hair with a towel.

"What's up?" He asked.

"Can I speak to you a moment?" Honey asked. "I need your sweater. I can't find mine anywhere. I think I might have left it at Hogwarts."

Sirius brought out a clean blue hoodie. "Here, and I'm pretty sure I saw your sweater on your floor when you went in there."

Honey blushed. "No... Okay, yeah it was mine, but still. It doesn't fit me."

"That's a lie," Sirius said. "And we both know it."