Part 21: The first lesson

"Lily?" Honey asked, entering their room.

Inside she saw Lily sitting with Alice Fortescue. Lily had tears streaming down her face and Alice wore an expression of fear.

"Here, Alice," Honey said, taking her place under Lily's head.

"Thanks," Alice breathed, sitting on the empty bed.

"Talk to me," Honey said, stroking Lily's hair.

"But I hate him and I love him but I want to kill him and I want to kiss him!" Lily said.

"I know. He just wants to take you on a date," Honey said. "You should let him some time. But, I completely understand if you don't. He's a bit of an ass sometimes. Sirius can be worse. Peter can be the worst."

"I know!" Lily whined.

"Put your make up on
Get your nails done
Curl your hair
Run the extra mile
Keep it slim
So they like you, do they like you?
Get your sexy on
Don't be shy, girl
Take it off
This is what you want, to belong
So they like you, do you like you?
You don't have to try so hard
You don't have to give it all away
You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up
You don't have to change a single thing
You don't have to try, try, try, try
Yooou don't have to try
Ohh
Get your shopping on, at the mall, max your credit cards
You don't have to choose, buy it all
Do they like you? Do they like you?
Wait a second,
Why should you care, what they think of you
When you're all alone, by yourself..." Honey sang, holding Lily close to her side.

Lily sniffled and Honey began to sing again.

"When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty
Will I be rich
Here's what she said to me
Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be
When I grew up and fell in love

I asked my sweetheart, what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows
Day after day
Here's what my sweetheart saidQue sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be

Now I have children of my own
They ask their mother, what will I be
Will I be handsome
Will I be rich
I tell them tenderly
Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be
Que sera, sera," She sang, this time Alice joined. Together, they sounded like a pair of  happy birds.

"I feel much better, thanks you guys," Lily said, wiping her tears on her sleeve.

 "Of course, I enjoy singing," Honey shrugged.

"I do too," Alice agreed.

"I'm going to go get my things," Alice said, walking out of the room.

Honey looked at her quizzically as she walked out. Lily caught her look and laughed a little.

"We're getting a transfer student from Bulgaria's school Durmstrang, so Alice is moving up here. She didn't really have too many friends down there except for Dorcas," Lily said, opening the empty trunk. 

Inside was a sachet of lavender and honeysuckle, taking the smell of dust and dirt away completely. A polaroid picture was stuffed in the bottom corner. Honey pulled it out and found her, Lily, Marlene, Dorcas, James, Sirius, Peter, Remus, Alice, Frank, Regulus, and the entire rest of the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

"When was this taken?" Honey asked, showing it to Lily.

"Second year," Lily said, smiling. "We hid it here until seventh year was finished, just for you."

"I love it," Honey said, hugging Lily tightly. "Thank you guys."

"We knew you would love it so we saved it," Lily agreed.

Honey smiled and jumped, turning into a dog, at the sound of Alice banging the door open with her trunk. Lily picked Honey up and held her as if she were truly a little dog, instead of her best friend. Alice was confused at the sudden appearance of a dog, but dropped her heavy things loudly.

"Where'd the dog come from, and where did Honey go?" Alice asked, looking around.

"Oh, um Honey flew out the window and dropped the dog in here on her way past," Lily lied smoothly.

"Right, well I'm going to go get the rest of my stuff," Alice said suspiciously.

She walked out of the room and Honey wriggled out of Lily's arms. She turned into a human again and crouched on the floor. She was laughing uncontrollably as she stumbled to her feet. 

"Thanks for... lying for me..." Honey said between gasps for breath.

"No problem," Lily replied, laughing to match.

Honey looked at her watch and shot towards the door.

"I'm about to be late for the boys, see you soon!" Honey called, dashing down the stairs.

She pushed past Alice and dashed up the opposing set of stairs. She stopped at the familiar door, and panted for a moment. She knocked politely before throwing open the door. Sirius was yet again jumping on the bed, this time surrounded by pillows on the floor. Remus and James were exchanging bets, tallied by Peter on a little notepad.

She snuck up to the trio of boys watching Sirius and peeked at the list. She added 2 galleons to him falling off the bed and sat down. Sirius continued to jump, but his foot slipped of the side and he fell. James, Peter and Remus each handed her 2 galleons and sighed.

"Here, Star," Honey said, pulling him up by the arm.

"Thanks, babe," He said, kissing her cheek.

"Alright, are you guys ready for your first lesson?" Honey asked, sitting down on Sirius's trunk.

"Yes, what is it?" James asked eagerly.

"Casting a Patronus. So, kindly stand up and I'll remove the beds and trunks momentarily," Honey said, pulling out her wand.

She made the furniture tiny and then stuffed it into their closet. She lined them up against the wall and produced her patronus; a large scruffy dog.

"Alright. What I want you four to do is think of your happiest memory," Honey instructed. "And clearly pronounce 'Expecto Patronum'. Got it?" 

They all thought for a moment, and Sirius's face light up with inspiration.

"Got one, Star?" Honey asked.

"I do," He smiled.

"Okay, go ahead," She said.

He thought deeply about the girl standing next to him. Her blonde hair, grey-green eyes, perfect imperfections and her lovely scent. A silver whisp flew out of his wand before he jumped from the slamming of an owl into the window pane.

"Who's family has a brown eagle-like owl?" Remus asked, pulling it in.

"That's mine," Honey said, heart dropping. "It's from my grandparents. Something's wrong."

Sirius took the letter from the huge owl and brought it over to her. He pulled out one of the chairs and grew it back to its original size. They sat down together and Honey opened the seal with shaky hands. She scanned over the letter and slid onto the floor.

"What is it?" Remus asked as Sirius took the letter from her.

"It's her parents. They're dead," Sirius said with wide eyes.

(Try by Colby Caillat)

(Que sera, Sera by Doris Day and Frank De Vol)