Part 15: A new year

"I'm so glad to be back here," James sighed, lounging on the sofa in front of the fire.

"I am too. Move over will you?" Honey said, trying to sit down on the same sofa, but James's feet were in the way.

"No, thank you," He said with a smile.

"Fine," Honey said.

She walked around the back of the couch, swung her legs over the back, and slid under his legs. He was so surprised that he fell off the couch, and Honey got it to herself.

"Care to sit with me?" Honey asked sweetly, barely holding back laughter.

"Thanks," He said in a daze.

Sirius plopped down on the hem of Honey's cloak, so close that their knees and elbows were touching. Honey nestled her head onto his shoulder as she had done all summer. The others were surprised by their actions. If he had done that the previous year she would have killed him.

"This is adorable," Lily said with a smile.

"What?" Honey asked, staring into the fire.

"You two. You really have gotten closer, haven't you?" She replied.

"Yeah, well... We kind of saved each other's summers. Otherwise, I would have been Cole's full-time Nanny," Honey shrugged, hardly moving her head.

"Interesting. How's your cat?" James asked.

"She died. My mother poisoned her," Honey sighed.

"Oh," James said.

"Whatever, she was old, she didn't really like anything anymore. She would have passed away anyway," Honey said.

"Sorry," Lily said.

"Are you coming?" Marlene asked, poking her head down the girls' staircase.

"Soon," Honey said.

"Yeah. Night boys," Lily said, flicking her hair in a seductive way.

James was particularly enraptured by her and watched as her skirt swished up the stairs. When she was out of view, he sighed and a love-sick expression filled his features. Sirius and Honey chuckled at his display. 

"Alright there, Jam?" Honey asked.

"She's just so beautiful," James sighed. "So perfect."

Sirius stared at Honey as he said that. "I agree."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honey went to bed when she had sufficiently annoyed James. She met Marlene and Dorcas on the stairs. The pair were snogging, so she slipped past as quickly and quietly as she could. She found their dormitory door open a crack with Lily peering out.

"Shh! Quickly in, you're blocking my view!" Lily whispered, waving her hands frantically.

Hoey obeyed and stuck her head out just above Lily's. The stained glass window was spattered with rain, causing the moonlight to be fractured against their entwined bodies. Eventually, they pulled apart and put their foreheads together. Huge grins pulled at the side of their mouths as they whispered and laughed.

Honey and Lily shrunk back to their beds, somewhat respecting their privacy.

"I wish I had that," Honey sighed dreamily.

"With Sirius?" Lily giggled.

"I don't know!" Honey groaned, shoving her face into her pillow.

"Wait, you didn't deny it!" Lily said, jumping up.